• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900k to 5950x??

Associate
Would it be worth upgrading from a 9900k to a 5950x?
My 9900k is running at 5.1ghz.
I mainly use my pc for gaming and have a Nvidia 3090 graphics card.
Would I see much improvement in FPS at 1440?

Soldato
Would it be worth upgrading from a 9900k to a 5950x?
My 9900k is running at 5.1ghz.
I mainly use my pc for gaming and have a Nvidia 3090 graphics card.
Would I see much improvement in FPS at 1440?

heck no

At this stage, I would 200% suggest you wait 1 more month to see if the 12900k beats the 5950x. I would not buy a CPU right now

Soldato
no dont do that, new cpus from both brands are weeks away and these current cpu`s will fade away in popularity before you know it

Soldato
Nope, if next gen isn't even a big improvement i would skip that too and wait to see what releases next year.

The 9900k is still a very capable cpu for gaming.

Soldato
Nope, if next gen isn't even a big improvement i would skip that too and wait to see what releases next year.
Big challenge for gaming is crap memory latency of first wave DDR5.
Over 90 ns latency is plain crap for monolithic chip like Alder Lake.
For comparison current Intels with fast memories are around 50 ns.

Soldato
It’s the power usage that’s the problem. You have to undervolt them. They need to focus on reducing this in the future, because it’s ridiculous as it is. Hopefully it changes with the 4000 series. I doubt it though. They just keep upping the horsepower.

Well it’s a host of issues. It’s a niche enthusiast only part isn’t it. An, I want to build the the highest performance gaming PC possible, and will spend whatever it costs to deal with power, heat and cooling issues.

Ampere is just not what most people have come to expect from Nvidia. Cool running, low power, quiet and become significantly faster than the competition the more you spend.

Soldato

The 9900k is still a very capable cpu for gaming.

This 100%

My 9900k is still a gaming beast! The only game I've struggled with is X4 and that's because that's more of a simulation than a game. If I was replacing my platform just for that I'd be looking at Threadripper

Soldato
It didn’t turn out how I expected to be honest. It’s far too power hungry at stock, like I say.

I hope the competition ramps up next time around. The only thing they keep doing is increasing FPS, but at a major cost.

The competition has ramped up. Ramped past even.

Soldato
Ramped up yes. I wouldn’t say past. At the time of buying, Raytracing and dlss were big factors.

I want better efficiency from my future GPU and CPU.

Each generation is more efficient than the last so I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean the high wattage of the 3090 for example, then it's because it's clocked to within an inch of its life.

If Nvidia had no competition, their GPUs would be clocked lower, have a lower TDP and would have smaller coolers.

Nvidia could bring out an absolutely mind-blowingly efficient product, but if the competition clocks theirs to the max, Nvidia has to as well, so the high power consumption returns.

Undervolt and underclock it if you want.

Soldato
Unless it worse in gaming than its predecessor, which is entirely possible given that Rocketlake is worse than cometlake.
Updates to OS scheduler may be required to make the best use of the high performance cores, otherwise it's totally possible to get suboptimal performance out of the 12900K. (Recall the Windows 10 1903 scheduler update for Ryzen's CCX groups)

Back
Top Bottom