A classic appears on GOG.com, Mafia 1!

Man of Honour
Maybe it was a limited time offer but I thought you could get it free (legally) now. I had a bit of a love/hate with the game as some things I enjoyed but some of the mechanics were a bit too fiddly for my liking.

Man of Honour
I was remembering wrong sort of - Steam were offering it free with orders/pre-orders of certain 2K games including Mafia 2 leading upto Mafia 2 release.

Soldato
OP
Ah I see. I have the other Mafia's so might as well complete the collection.

Going to get lost in this for hours.

Well If it would launch I would.. Hitting play on gog galaxy goes grey and then nothing. Anti virus saw it as malware.. ugh.

OK all sorted, somehow. Closed gog galaxy via task manager and all anti virus etc and relaunched. downloaded a bit more of the game and it's working.

Last edited:
Associate
One thing to be aware of though (from one review on gog) -
However, as of this review, this version contains no licensed music. The original had a great 1920's sound track which would play on the radio as you drove around. I guess that is gone now. This is a big minus for me, so I will stick to my old cd version rather than buying this drm-free version. Pity.

Caporegime
One that passed me by, so probably not worth looking into now. I did actually buy a cheapo copy of it many years back, but never seemed to get into it.

Soldato
Got it on cd/dvd. My best PC title of all time. Its an amazing experience watching the vehicles in the game evolve and change as the years go by. Great music and characters just make this game one hell of a blast.

Soldato
Mafia 1 is a true masterpiece.

On GOG forums is a guide to restore the music.

Seriously this is one of the best games ever made. Years ahead of its time. And its director is supercool guy who is now making Kingdom Come Deliverance, open world RPG I am super excited about.

Man of Honour
I'd probably do OK with it now but before the patch at least how I remember it you'd get completely unpredictable understeer which would magically somehow turn into the car flipping around several times and I just wasn't that interested in that part of the game enough to consider it worth persevering with.

Soldato
I'd probably do OK with it now but before the patch at least how I remember it you'd get completely unpredictable understeer which would magically somehow turn into the car flipping around several times and I just wasn't that interested in that part of the game enough to consider it worth persevering with.

And all you had to do was drive carefully and slow down in turns.

Or install a patch.

Soldato
I guess it wouldn't be a stretch to call this one of the best games ever. It's one of my absolute favourites and a truly outstanding experience.

And the race wasn't that hard:p

Soldato
One of the best ever, maybe... I can't think of a game more ahead of it's time though. The screens in the preview in PC gamer, were light years beyond anything seen in an open world environment at the time.

Back
Top Bottom