A disk read error occurred

Soldato
A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

i booted up this morning and this is what i get anyone got an ideas?

i cant lose the work on this hdd is possible.

-Alex.

Permabanned
Only thing I would do is completely remove the disk from the machine, install XP on to another HD, plug the old HD in alongside the temporary one and see if you can browse it.

Or just plug into another machine with XP installed, and try browsing it.

Soldato
The new machine will have a different SID for the account you logged in with, compared to the account you use on the drive from the other machine, this means you wont be able to access it through windows on another pc.....

Soldato
OP
no way of changing it? it all works but i cant access my documents under my name "iTank" is the harddrive borked or could it be something else?

Soldato
is it not letting you access it because of the password of because it just doesnt seem to read the drive ?

if its just because of a different password there is a way around it...

if it s because the drive wont read, then it sounds like a faulty HD

Soldato
OP
in my machine it wont boot the drive, when using it as a slave in another machine i can access it, but not my folders due to the password protection. i believe.

id like to get files off the drive and also get to boot in my normal machine.

Soldato
well, there is a way around the password problem, i had the same thing a while ago and found a solution on google (microsoft) ill see if i can dig it out..

if i were you, once you can, back up all your data and do run some software to test your HD.

Soldato
OP
put it this way i tryed it in slave it worked, i took it back to my normal machine plugged it in, all fine?

no ideas what was going on, thanks a lot though.

-Alex.

Back
Top Bottom