A few questions about FTTP

Associate
I just got FTTP setup the other day and I have a couple of questions.

1. When the engineer fitted the fibre optic cable to the house, my ISP (TalkTalk) hadn't yet sent me any new equipment. The engineer had a TalkTalk branded router (a Sagemcom Fast 5464) so he gave me that and it's working ok. There was no Digital Voice Adapter, though, so I connected my phone line to the socket on the back on the Sagemcom router that was covered by a sticker (a green BT-plug socket) and the phone has been working ok. Today, TalkTalk sent me a Digital Voice Adapter (Grandstream). Do I need to use this DVA given my phone line is working ok or can I just keep using the one on the router?

2. I'll be looking to buy my own Fibre router. When I do, will my phone line work with routers that have VoIP sockets built-in or do I need another type? Most of the routers I've seen online with VoIP have the RJ11 sockets, not the BT-socket that the Sagemcom router has. And, if I get another router do I need to inform TalkTalk WRT to keeping the phone line active?

I'm well aware I could use the DVA that arrived today from TalkTalk but that's not the answer to the question I'm asking - the space where the ONT is located is limited and it's a real pain to have another device that needs power in that location.

3. Has anyone any recommendations for a new Router? It goes without saying the TT router is limited. I'd be looking for one that can handle VoIP (obviously) and one that I can set up a VPN account on.

Thanks in advance.

Caporegime
TalkTalk have provisioned their branded router for the voice service, if it's working then you don't need to do anything.

Using the VoIP port on a third-party router would depend on TalkTalk giving you the details needed to configure it, I haven't been able to find any evidence that they supply people with these details.

Associate
OP
I got a response from TalkTalk about this.

Basically, keep using the TT router for VoIP the way I have it.

If I get a 3rd-party router, then I'll need to use the Digital Voice Adapter TT provided as "we don't give out information about our VoIP settings."

Fair enough as I'm with them for at least another 18 months.

However, I'm still looking for a new router, one that I can set up a VPN account on to cover all my devices inside my network. Any suggestions?

Must be wall-mountable! Quite fancy a Draytek Vigor model or other, even though they're a bit pricey.

Soldato
For your research, here's a list of the router brands I know of:

Asus
DrayTek
Linksys
Meraki Go
Netgear
TP-Link

Of those, Asus and DrayTek are the ones I would look at first.

Associate
GL.iNet GL-MT6000 (Flint2) gets some love on here as well it's under £150

This. Currently £119 at that Optimus place ;)

No reason to ever buy anything else tbh and even has wall mounts on the bottom.
£110 direct from GL.iNet for the next few days. I already have one and can't fault it. Just ordered a second as well for my parents because their asus is now EOL.

Associate
OP
GL.iNet GL-MT6000 (Flint2) gets some love on here as well it's under £150

That router is pretty much spot on....

Except for those fuggy antennae sticking out at 90 degrees. It doesn't look like you can rotate them(?) and I need to wall-mount the device. (looking at some YT videos, they might retract flat with the device)

And Im not sure it has a VoIP connection. Don't think it does. But then, I have the DVA from TalkTalk so I can keep that in the meantime until I get to the point where I finally accept I don't need the landline number anymore....

We might be onto a winner here, lads.... :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep, they seem to both fold flat against the unit (not the best position for WiFi, I'm assuming) but also up and away from the unit.

This one might be just what I'm after.
spot-on.gif

Back
Top Bottom