A little apprehensive about buying a new computer that I have to build myself

Associate
Hi,

I've posted a few times on here requesting information about possible specs for a new machine. The advice has been great, but so far I haven't pulled the trigger on anything.

I think I am just a little concerned about being sure that everything is compatible and that I am going to know where to start with regard to assembling it, and getting it started - I have NO experience. The only person I know who could help me lives 3 hours away! I would be on my own with it. Obviously I use a computer all the time, but I am just that - a USER. I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to fixing them when they go wrong. Just switch it on, use it, switch it off etc....

I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket, but can you see my concerns? Having said that I am interested to learn - I think I would get a better machine compared to buying a ready made one, and it would be very satisfying.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks.

squiffy said:
Not sure if a total noobie should build a machine, especially if you're looking at a expensive setup, as I learnt myself with older gear, starting back from DOS 3, 4.7mhz XT's, multiple DOS configs in DOS 5, base/extended/expanded, DOS commands, specific config.sys and autoexec.bat commands, memory etc. If you think computers are hard to setup now... :eek:

It's going to be a relatively expensive setup at around the £1,000 mark. I suppose if I take my time I should be OK?

messiah khan said:
You'll be fine. And as mentioned, if you do have any problems at all, just ask the question on here, and someone will normally answer your question within 15 minutes. Just out of interest, whereabouts do you live? You never know, there might be loads of OCUK members around where you live.

I live in Guildford, Surrey. Well, a village close by, but most people know Guildford so it's easier to say that!

Back
Top Bottom