A little assistance required please...

Permabanned
(on behalf of a friend)

Hi all,

I'm new to this whole overclocking business. I have an AMB Sempron 3100+ cpu on a Foxconn 760GXK8MC mobo.

I have clocked the cpu from the standard 1.8 ghz to 2.16ghz. The voltage supplied to the cpu is my problem at the moment.

In bios the voltage began at 1.4v, i then upped it to 1.425 without a problem. After a bit more clocking i upped it to 1.45 and the reading on CPU-Z wouldnt go above 1.44v. Again I tried to increase the voltage in bios, this time upto 1.475, and then later on 1.5v. The actual voltage however refused to go above 1.44v according to CPU-Z.

Why might this be?

As I said I'm new to all of this, so its kind of trial and error at the moment! Any pointers would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, another thing. The highest temp I have reached under stress is 54*c, and according to Core Temp the max temp for my cpu is 69*c. How close to this figure would you say is safe (under stress or idle?).

I hope my questions make sense, any questions please ask.

Thanks a lot,
Chris :)

Permabanned
Hi Chris,

Dont take an AMD cpu over 65c if you can.

CPU-Z often reads things wrongly, so I would get a second opinion on the volts using another 3rd party program, perhaps some motherboard monitoring software if you have any that came with the board (or you can get for it).

Cheers,
iViper

Suspended
Yea it could be a CPU-Z reading error, or it could be that the mobo just doesn't want to give the CPU any more voltage for some reason.

I would say 65 degrees is about the max for a Sempy 3100 as well. My old Sempy 3100 clocked up to 2.5Ghz rock stable, but on the stock cooler it was heading towards 67 degrees. I quick change of CPU cooler sorted that, bringing the load temp to around 51-52 degrees, which made me feel a lot better!

Maybe you could consider looking for an aftermarket CPU cooler such as a Thermalright XP120 - that would help to keep ** temps down.

If it does turn out to be ** mobo that is preventing the voltage increase, then a DFI LanParty UT 250Gb is the board for your needs (assuming you want to keep the other components, or are on a budget). They have loads of options for overclockers, and are very stable and versatile :)

Back
Top Bottom