a little out of the loop - modern day seo tips?

Suspended
i've been out of the seo loop for a couple years now. i've been called by a few indian companies that offer to do my seo for £150 per month for 6 months blah blah blah but i think i'd be more than capable of doing this on my own with a bit of advice on what the current day seo techniques are.

i used to be told to write articles and submit them to article sites with a link back to my website which i hated as it felt so fake and for seo only.

i'm aware of the need for backlinks but the industry i'm in it's very hard to get relevant ones from other sites so link swapping isn't really an option.

i try to find blogs in the related field but again same issue, plus any blogs i'm finding are either facebook style comments, or nofollow any way.

i have a blog on my site which will now be updated at least once a week. i also am trying to use twitter/facebook/g+ etc to promote the site, but finding ways to promote it online that isn't just a link to our latest article is hard.

i think the seo on the site is good, though if anyone is willing to have a peek i'd be open to ideas.

any other things i could do to help improve seo? my competition don't do much seo so i think with a bit of regular work i'd be able to climb the ranks and remain there, however a lot of the high ranking sites use this one company to make their site which automatically links swaps between each other so they have a ton of backlinks instantly from very relevant sites.

There are many, many things that have an impact on SEO.

For instance:

- Site speed
- Whether your site is mobile friendly
- Google can detect duplicated content so be aware of this
- Ability to share content such as blog posts / content (AddThis is brilliant for this)
- Social Media links
- Apparently G+ activity plays the biggest role, but other forms of social media certainly help too
- Sitemap

I'd try to update your blog more once per week if possible, and when you do be sure to share on G+, Facebook, Twitter etc. If you can get people reading from your social media accounts and get them sharing content themselves via the social media buttons on your website that will help tremendously.

almost everything if not every on our site is unique content. we've shared a few interesting articles but nothing is copied, just linked to them.

i'll look to having an addthis button. i am skeptical to how much users would actually use this, though no harm in finding out.

the blogging is at least once a week, more likely 2/3 times a week. any more and i think the content we add wont be any good for readers as we will have to stretch our imagination a bit too far and i think content will be no good at that point.

just done a speed check and it seems to be getting good speeds

Last edited:
If you're going to add the sharing buttons, just do the ones you're actually active on so it doesn't look like you're being ignorant! Nothing worse than those sharing buttons which have 30+ social networks on them.

This is from a webinar I watched the other night with Adobe Muse as the product, but I think the checklist can easily be used by anyone wanting to take a look in to SEO https://www.evernote.com/shard/s11/...a61a33e76047/101238c10ef28e60265f562581b1b7d3

Hope that helps :)

Back
Top Bottom