A little spec

Associate
Hello all

I just finshed fiddling with the spec for my new machine. Would there be any problems with this set-up, could I make it better/cheaper in any way? I'm pretty certain on the cpu, which I hear good overclocking reports of, but is there anything that i ought to add/subtract/change?

AMD Dual-Core Opteron™ 165, 1.8 GHz
Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
OcUK Value 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 184pin DDR Memory Dual Channel Kit
XFX GeForce PCX6600 Extreme Edition 512MB DDR2 TV-Out/Dual DVI
Optronix Midi Tower Case - 400w PSU
NEC ND4551 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer LabelFlash ReWriter (Silver)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition inc. SP2 - OEM -

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks. Sorry I meant to include the price, for the components I listed I got the price out at £805.57 (Nothing like being precise) That's about as high as I want to go (ideally I'd like around £750-£775)

I wanted an SLi mobo so that I could upgrade to two graphics cards in a year or two, when I have more money, or is that a stupid idea?

I chose XP Pro 64-bit because on overclockers it's basically the same price as 32-bit. I've also heard rumours that it's the only version you'll be able to upgrade to Vista from. I know there are driver problems but I'd rather that than being out of date in a few years time.

Basic idea for this PC - best system I can build for £800 that will be future-proof and will be able to be upgraded a bit in a year's time. I know stuff will have moved on by then, with the new AMD socket but even so it's worth looking ahead.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. I'll definitely get some of that RAM.

Back
Top Bottom