A modest student build ;)

Associate
A Nomishness Build [my student build ;)]

Hey everyone!! So ive moved to the UK from australia and i was a huge fan of the OCAU forums, so OCUK was the obvious choice for me :) Ive obviously had to start again with everything and start from ZERO :( After what seems like an eternity of waiting for couriers and posties ive got about 90% of the parts with me and HOPEFULLY will have the rest by next week. Im trying to go for a black & white theme as is the usual thing but i mean i like these colours :) The parts ive chosen have had battlefield 3 in mind as im sure everyones builds around this time and for the next few months will be.

System
Case - Silverstone TJ-07 w modded 360 roof + mesh / window / powder coated white inside
CPU - Intel SB 2600K
MOBO - ASRock Extreme 7 Gen 3
RAM - 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance C8 Kits
GPU - 2 x EVGA Gtx 580 1.5GB SC
SSD - Crucial M4 128GB
SSD - 2 x Kingston HyperX 120GB
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
PSU - Corsair 1200w
NIC - Bigfoot Killer 2100
Optical Drive - Samsung Blu-ray SH-B123
Monitor - Samsung SA27950 120Hz
Keyboard - Steelseries Shift
Mouse - Steelseries XAI - Ruse Edition

Watercooling
Pump - Laing DDC+1 18w MCP355
Res - DangerDen RAD Reservoir
CPU Block - EK Supreme HF
GPU Block - 2 x EK FC580 GTX + EK backplates
Radiator - Thermochill TA120.3
Radiator - XSPC RX480
Tubing - Masterkleer 7/16 White
Fittings - EK Compression Black
Fluid - Mayhem Pure H20
Fluid - Mayhem Biocide
Misc - Plulse Silver Kill Coil
Fan - 2 x Fractal Silent Series 92mm
Fan - 7 x Scythe Typhoon 1850
Controller - Lamptron FC5 V2

More pics to come as i start my build!

UPDATE: 26/09/2011 - Post #18
UPDATE: 28/09/2011 - Post #28

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Why on earth would someone want to move from Australia to the UK :eek::confused:;):p:D

Anyway build has potential :), could have a look at rjkoneill's build for inspiration http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18046633

Moved over here for uni + the girlfriend, and ill def take a look at rjkoneill's thread loving all the pics, ill be sure to document mine too.

Yeah this may be the case hey, admitantly I bribed my parents into giving me some cash to build a rig last year for 'uni' so I can't quite complain now can I :p

I'll be watching this to see the final results!

Thanks guys!! great to see a bit of feedback before i've even started to assemble this beast of a thing. Picking those parts took a **** load of scouring on these forums and its good to see i made the right choices in places.

Your all pretty much spot on with the whole parents & excuse thing for a 'uni' build to splurge out on a pc, admittedly i said that i wasnt going to upgrade for the whole 4 years im here, but once i get some funds sorted im sure that will change :D

This is some crazy build for a 'student' build, what is the price tag on that build anyway?

Also a lovely setup hey! :eek:

The price tag was way too much :) i was originally going for 3 gtx 580's but then extra bits and pieces added up to not getting it :( 2 will suffice i spose….for now :D

Associate
OP
well that is a major fail! i got all my other tid bits and bobs yesterday, but some sort of logistic error means the one thing i really need to start (my case) wont be delivered until monday. SIGH!

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

So finally after waiting all weekend, my case finally arrived this morning ^_^ YAY! Let the build BEGIN!!!!
img4749d.jpg

First look at the case after the powder coat and im well and truly impressed by their work.
img4750ay.jpg

First order of business is to remove the bottom hard drive cages, which was a bit of a mind job to figure out, but really it was quite simple haha.
img4751g.jpg

Fractal Silent Series 92mm to replace the 2 silverstone stock case fans in the rear.
img4756n.jpg

Fans installed :D
img4757p.jpg

Loving how the mobo tray comes out with only a few screws and it just makes installing things so much more easier. Powdercoating made the hole diameter a little smaller so my motherboard standoffs were a bit tough to put in by hand so i had to make do and leave them half out as i didnt have any other tools to get around them (hope they hold).
img4761s.jpg

Bring on the macro shots :) its only a kit lens but it will do :)
EK Supreme HF Full Nickel EN
img4762p.jpg

4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance C8 Black
img4765z.jpg

Ram installed (even got the gf to install them for me to help release the inner geek)
img4767q.jpg

My babies, SLI EVGA GTX 580s w EK Waterblocks + Backplates
img4769fp.jpg

Network card installed and im liking the spacing on the motherboard so far!
img4770y.jpg

Everything looks nice and neat so far, just wait for the cables :(
img4776w.jpg

This is where the build has to be paused for a few days as im waiting on a cordless drill to be delivered to me as well as some drill bits. Theres no real point in installing or hooking up anything else until i can drill some holes in my case to install the rads!

Associate
OP
So ive made my first mistake and that is, in buying the thermochill 120.3 as it does not fit into my system :(, will be ordering a stealth radiator now, and as you can see i have a rad for sale :D

Associate
OP
well the roof is modded to fit a 360, its just that i didnt get a stealth one, i got a full size one, my bad for buying the case last and everything first

Associate
OP
yeh no sound card yet, i do have space a spare slot between the gpu's and between the nic and the gpu, but i havent got proper speakers just some cheap ones at the moment, will be getting a sound card when i get some white aego m's to go with my theme :D

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

Ok so ive got my drill and holes have been made in the case and brackets. Keep reading for more pics!

Got to love ocuk DPD next day delivery, got myself the black ice stealth 360 rad for the top roof.
img4778l.jpg

It was a bit fidly to install with the brackets, as i wasnt happy with how they sat and also because the scythe gt's have the corner cut off i had to do a little plastic cutting to let the brackets hold onto more of the fan. Also re-inforced the brackets so they could hold extra weight.
img4777dx.jpg

img4780k.jpg

Mesh roof with the fans underneath, cant really see them so not to distract from the case itself.
img4785b.jpg

Drilled & installed the pulse 480 radiator bracket.
img4789e.jpg

Fans & XSPC 480 radiator installed, it fit quite nicely inside, although with such a thick radiator theres not enough room to run push/pull with the psu being the main thing interfering inside.
img4790hg.jpg

Had some spare white 120mm fan grills so i thought id just mount them underneath the radiator on the roof to make it look pretty :)
img4791v.jpg

Lamptron fan controller and blu ray drive installed to check the spacing for fittings + tubes for the radiator.
img4796p.jpg

Had a look and noticed that the bay slot covers fitted perfectly on the inside in reverse. Thought that this would be a perfect way to mount the reservoir and it'd look quite nice.
img4798k.jpg

Yup, it looked pretty damn good actually.
img4801ye.jpg

DDC pump installed, these compressions look damn good. It was also really good that the reservoir can be slid up and down to get the proper fit meaning i didnt have to measure the tube that precisely.
img4810m.jpg

So this is it for today, will try and do some tomorrow but oh my god my fingers are in PAIN, these damn compressions are so tight with 7/16" tubing + EK fittings.

Associate
OP
will be posting some more photo soon for the final pics of the build! i actually found that using a stanley knife to trim like 1-2mm off the end of the tube once ive slipped on the compression so that it tapers down actually helped me to twist on the coupler piece all the way down. also advice for anyone else, make the cables a tiny bit longer than you need, because twisting the cables in the opposite direction so you can twist them into the their thread was a bitch for me!

Back
Top Bottom