A new oven

Soldato
Carrying on from a post in Home and garden where old oven had problems we now have a new Zanussi 20 series double built in oven.

So far very impressed and you only realise how crappy your old one was when you change.

One question - When we open main oven the door after say 30-60 min depending we get a huge cloud of steam and heat rush up and out of oven - fortunately the first time we had stepped back but it was very hot.

My only thoughts are this oven is so well sealed and insulated that it's cooking much better because it's holding the heat more.

Also found out the old oven was 20C hotter than what was on the dial -I bought a more expensive oven thermometer a year or so ago and we stopped using it due to the discrepency in temp. Now they are both within a few degrees of each other. Years ago we did have Zanussi engineer in and he said the temp was in spec. - 20C is quite a bit of heat.

Is the cloud of steam normal on ovens today ?

ps looks a lot more efficient looking at smart meter.

gEd

gEd

Associate
Its normal to get a blast of steam out of the oven the first time you open it during to cooking process. I think it depends on what you are cooking.

Soldato
frozen chips on their own ?
The 64Kwh question these days is running cost, have you established if smaller oven genuinely uses much less electric, ours isn't a fan so I'm sceptical.

we're trying to be more economic with oven use - so, batch cooking, does take a bit more prep on the night.
Did (scratch)pizza+baked potatos, apple crumble, rice pudding and a treacle-tart, so set up for next week.

Soldato
OP
There is only the two of us and oven isn't used every day - Today wife did some washing and cooked chips (had salad and cold chicken legs)-along with fridge and freezers our usage today is £1.60.
I think the oven is 61ltrs capacity - much smaller than the old cooker.

Back
Top Bottom