A problem with bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Morning Gents, And Secretspy. (sorry)
I wonder if someone could assist me, basically someones tastes are changing, and they are now finding it harder to tolerate bacon (among other things)due to it tasting over salty (we have tried a few different shops including M&S and tesco) Can anyone suggest a brand that is specifically less salt? I will add this is unsmoked bacon and to you or I it may not taste salty however to this person it does.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you for all the lovely replies!

Thank you, i will double check the bacon is being drained etc but i think it is. Unfortunately, the persons tastes are changing (no comments on this required) rapidly and we are just trying to help. The M&S bacon i will look into thank you. The be good to yourself bacon less convinced but i will buy some and try it. Thank you almost everyone, i do appreciate it. :)

Soldato
OP
I've not looked it up, but I have heard before, the 'nitrate free' bacon has celery juice - which during the curing process converts to nitrates. So at best you're getting 'natural nitrate' rather than 'nitrate free'.

To the OP I'd suggest making your own bacon, but be aware the salt is what makes bacon taste like bacon, not the nitrates - nitrates don't taste salty, it just stops botulism (not a concern for home made, constantly refrigerated).

You can reduce the salt to a point, considering shelf life isn't a concern, but below a certain point it will be less 'bacon' and more 'pork'. Of course you can adjust to taste and find the level you're happy with.
Thank you David. We have done!
you do know who OP is right? :D

Soldato
OP
Have you tried eating it with different things to take the edge off?

Although a BLT might be traditional, the acidity of tomato might be too much for someone with rapidly changing tastes, IME.

Avocado, though, takes away some of the saltiness without being a strong flavour.
Please read the OP. The person in question who its for eats about 4 things. (NO COMMENTS REQUIRED.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom