A question about religious rituals, location and belief in omniscience

Man of Honour
Prompted by a theist's post in another thread, but I decided it was off-topic for that thread so I started another.

In a religion which includes the belief in a god (or gods) that are omniscient, why does a believer care where they perform their rituals? It's not religious, since the religion includes the belief that the god(s) know whatever you're doing wherever you do it. Is it social? Is it political? My initial position is that it varies from person to person and it usually social or habit or a vague feeling of appropriateness, but I'd like to get opinions from more theists who follow religions that include belief in a god or gods who know everything or at least know everything about what all their followers are doing.

Man of Honour
OP
I agree with your premise but I think the answer is going to depend a bit religion to religion - [..]

So do I and also from person to person in the same religion, which is why I said "I'd like to get opinions from more theists who follow religions that include belief in a god or gods who know everything or at least know everything about what all their followers are doing."

IIRC the Bible for instance has several bits that set out a formality in terms of worship so it isn't so much down to what the believer cares as such.

But it has other bits which can be interpreted as saying that grouping together in a specific place for rituals is unnecessary or even undesirable. A large body of text is always widely open to interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom