A question of sound.

Soldato
Right, I have onboard sound connected to my Amplifier. Now I'm thinking about getting a sound card for gaming/music and HD555's. For theory's sake just say I got the XonarD2. So I plug into the Amplifier then into the soundcard and the headphones into the Amplifier.

So sort of like; Output > soundcard > Amp > Headphones.

Will the sound quality be a lot better? Mainly just trying to justify it for myself because the onboard sound is ok through the amp just now with lossless files but for gaming in particular.

Like I said, I have 555's and XonarD2 in mind.

Edit - A soundcard for gaming anyways, not the Xonar in particular.
Edit2 - I guess it will depend on my Amp aswell...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@hughythomas

I never have equalizer effects, I do want my sound to be as close to the real thing but that costs thousands. :p But with my lovely pci slot I can get closer. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sounds quite good. I only have a 2.0 speaker set up just now. I'm getting a very good amp from my dad the set up is still 2.0 but it will be a lot more powerful. I love listening to music.

I don't care about gimmicky drivers to be honest I want good solid audio.

Sorry to hear about the Xonar dude :\

To be honest the Xonar looks nice but I'm more bothered about the innards and quality of the card.

I'll look into this audiophile 2496. The inputs are a lot different but I learn fast atleast.
As far as gaming to music ratio it's 50 50 aslong as I get a great sound, an allrounder card if I'm honest. :)

Edit - Will it be good with headphones aswell as my measly 2 speakers? :p Just depends who's in the house or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
MikeHunt79 he referred to E-mu as a budget sound card but in the pro area. :p

Thing is if the Audiophile 2496 sounds better than an Essence being half the price of the essence is very good for me as money can get tight. I'll try and get the name and product code for the amp my dad has. I've not really looked at it but last thing he said it was a valve one me thinks. :p

@95thrifles. The essence does sound like a great card but I don't think I can afford that just yet so this alternative sounds good. And remember he did say he was biased in his first post. :p

Soldato
OP
The essence is too expensive for me...

I will get back to you all if I do buy the one you recommended hughythomas. I just need to get off this onboard sound. :(

Soldato
OP
All in good time. Thanks guys. :)

Edit - Thing is if I bought that, how would I go about setting it up to my amp, what wires would I need? I kind of feel silly for asking...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm both. I live in the centre of Edinburgh aswell. I don't think there is any music retailers that sell these cards but I'll look later on today. At college just now! I play guitar and *used to* piano.

I think it will be ok for 50 pound, certainly better than onboard. :)

Edit - To add I've been wanting to make my own music for ages just never had the means to. My bro wants to record aswell so it will benefit him if we get something like this.

Soldato
OP
I have nothin to be honest. I have a guitar and a marshall amp for that guitar, tis all. And a pc. :p I play a wide variety of music but mainly rock/metal/blues...I only have an electric guitar. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth here. :p But I got to learn!

Edit - I'll probably get the 2496. Could I connect my guitar straight to the delta 44's seperate box? And connect to my amp for starters then think about recordin later on whilst it being another option there. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got a choice... the 2496, Juli@ (if that's how you spell it) and E-mu 0404 pci. I was looking on the Head-fi forums they've got good advice too.

Soldato
OP
Thanks hughy, now just sit and wait for the moneys to roll in.

Head-fi, not much really, I didn't really notice any posts asking to get that or X VS X apart from "I've never heard of Xonar really apparently the gamers seem to like that card". But Head-fi is dedicated to audiophiles. :p

Edit - I love the look of the delta 44 with the direct inputs, but would it be ok with headphones or would I have to get a headphone amp? Or have the breakout box connected to my amp then out into the headphones? Sorry for the all the questions, I'm strictly new to this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom