a question regarding v sync and other limiters

Associate
ive been told that v sync isn’t actually a limiter like how rtss is for example or in game limit setting,

For instance when I want to use an rtss limit for example 80 , id set in game fps limit to highest available(200 lets just say) then id set the rtss limit to 80.....

However in that scenario if I was to put both of those limiters I.e in game AND rtss to 80 they would be clashing with one another right ?(this is just needed to understand my question fully),..

Thus then needing to put whichever limiter I want active to be at least around 5 fps lower than the other-(in game, RTSS)

If there was however lets say a 60 hz game and ive got nvcp v sync turned to on (fps would go to 60 right?), if I then set the in game fps limit OR my own custom 60 fps limit would the two clash ?, without having to do what I mentioned before in making sure my fps limit is below the v sync in game which is also 60fps?, so 56 in this case ? or is that guy right in saying “V-SYNC is not considered an FPS limiter.” ,

Thus then meaning I can just set fps limit to 60 and v sync on without worry over the 2 limiters clashing at all like they normally would if say I set rtss 60 and in game 60 for instance

, hope someone can take a look at this for me please its been playing on my mind and would like an answer if possible , many thanks ,

Man of Honour
Overly simplified but V-Sync waits a set period before allowing the next frame to be rendered - so you will ever only have say 1 frame every 16.6667ms at 60Hz, frame limiters will use some kind of algorithm, some better than others, to limit the number of frames generated over a time period reactively - in some cases simply allowing only 60 frames for a 60 FPS cap then stopping - which causes stutter and hitching if those frames are not even distributed over the time period it is monitoring - more recent implementations have more sophisticated algorithms so as to have a more evenly distributed number of frames over a second.

Having a frame limiter set above the V-Sync/Hz is redundant, can result in less frames being generated than is desirable with V-Sync enabled even causing stutter.

If you enable a frame limit below the refresh rate with V-Sync on you'll never attain the top refresh rate and so you will get whole frame waits before new frames are rendered so capping at 56 with 60Hz V-Sync for instance would see the frame rate never exceed 30 or 45 FPS depending on the implementation/settings.

EDIT: If G-Sync or adaptive sync of some form is in play things change again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if i set my rtss limit to 60 and the games v sync is also locking it to 60, just in theory would the two limiters clash with each other ?, if someone could answer this please

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom