a semi upgrade for an older PC

AGM

AGM

Associate
Looking for some advice please.

I have a 4 year old dell PC with the following specs:

Dell Vostro 470 tower
PSU 460v (its either 350W or 460W depending on where its plugged in apparently)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

1TB hard drive

Memory: 8GB RAM (max 32GB)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

Windows 10 installed

Im a casual gamer, limited by time rather than ambition! i usually play AAA games a year or two after release. I mainly use the PC for work (word/excel etc), occasional video and photo editing and games when i can. The PC runs most old games which i enjoy fine.

However someone gifted me STEEP and my PC cant handle it at all!

Looking at my specs i think the graphics card is holding me back.

Im not looking for a top end gaming PC, i dont have the time for that. However im wondering if with a few upgrades ill get some more years out of this PC and still be able to dabble in a few newer games, like STEEP.

Budget is variable depending on suggestions.

my questions are:

which GPU (that fits my machine/PSU) would allow me to play a bigger range of newer games without going over board?

Would adding any more memory benefit my gaming requirements?

Is my processor adequate for casual gaming still?

Ive previously replaced graphics cards and memory in PC's so i'm happy doing that.
Thanks in advance!

Associate
Your cpu is fine for a mid range gpu like a GTX 1060 or even a RX 480. Either of which would be a good upgrade.

You are still good as far as memory goes..

Caporegime
GFX upgrade.

But you need to check how much room is in the case vs the length of whatever card you buy, theres cheap GFX cards in the clearance section.

Also your PSU, does it have the necessary PCI_E connectors and is it good enough to run a better gfx card, wattage doesn't tell the whole story with cheaper units actually struggling to give out what they claim.

AGM

AGM

Associate
OP
My PSU has a 6 pin PCI-E so i should be ok with some of the more powerful GPUs. my current GPU is 14.4*6.8cm according to its specs which doesnt leave me much space to play with.

My understanding of the GPU's around now (from when i last looked) is that most of the GTX cards you have an option for one or two fans (two fans meaning bigger card but better if you have the space) and a lot of the cards have different memory options too.

I guess when you say the 1060 is a good option at the moment, you mean the 6GB one? If i can fit it in and power it, i guess it would last me for some time, but whats the thoughts on the cheaper options like the 3GB 1060, or a GTX 1050 4GB . Im leaning more towards the GTX rather than RX for familiarity and reliability with my set up.

I think space may be more of an issue than i originally thought here. Ive measured up and i should be able to fit in cards around 16cm by 12cm without issue but thats about it.

these three seem like they should fit my set up currently:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £568.97
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Back
Top Bottom