A sheep with a cold in my PC?

Associate
When I cold boot my computer, there is a highly annoying sound coming from my computer for around 20 secs and then stops.

As the header says, it sounds like a sheep with a cold or something in that direction.

I have a hard time locating where the sound comes from, but it's def. a fan not spinning the right way.

It seems that if I knock a little on the psu, the fan goes into a normal sound, so I think it's coming from there.

PSU is Hyper 580R - this seems common right?

It's only a couple of months old.

As I don't live on a farm I have no idea what a sheep with a cold sounds like :p

No clue either, but I think I'm close with the comparison :)

After the sound goes away, does it come back while running or is it only just after booting?

Only after 1st boot, while restarting Windows or during use, it is silent.

my hiper does that. does it stop when you tilt the case to one side?

Well a tilt only will not solve it, needs a little beating on the side of the psu, but then it will stop.

Nah it seems like a grinding noise, much like when a fan has problem running around at the right pace.

Hhmm I must try and stick stuff into the psu, just to try and stop the fan and see what happens :)

Cheers for the inputs.

My X1900XTX does the intial full power take off, but it's more a "healthy" noise, still loud as hell but nothing I worry about...

The other noise is def. "unhealthy", but I'll see what I can figure out.. If it just was a cold to warm situation I would think it should have been like that from day 1, but it's a sudden problem, after a month or so, so...

I'll report back if I figure out what it is.

Phew it was not the PSU that had a faulty fan. Heard so much about those Hypers acting up, so I was almost sure...

Apparently the sheep with a cold was the small mobo chip fan, so that's not so bad. I hope it was just sitting a little lose, but if that doesn't help it should be easy to fix.

Thanks for inputs!

Yeah I'll get a new one...

Thank god it wasn't the psu as I couldn't be .... to unplug and return all those wires and weight :)

Would that Zalmann passive cooler work?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom