• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

Caporegime
Until our full review is published early next year, I can safely say that after a week of using G-SYNC, there’s really only one word to sum up my experience thus far: awesome.

G-SYNC’s Current Limitations Explained

While G-SYNC may look like a cure-all for many of the glaring shortcomings in the display market, it isn’t infallible and it can’t rectify every issue. Stuttering will continue to rear its ugly head when games load textures or when a system storage device becomes a bottleneck. In addition, blur still occurs and detracts from the overall experience despite G-SYNC’s improvements in other areas but with tweaks to LightBoost this can be overcome as well.

With input lag all but eliminated from the display side of the equation, according to NVIDIA you’ll need a suitably high end gaming mouse with an extreme polling interval to take full advantage of what G-SYNC offers. I didn’t notice anything more than the usual improvements in response time and accuracy when moving from an MX510 to a G9x but professional gamers (I’m certainly not one of those) may say otherwise since the screen’s response time has been significantly reduced.

There are some additional limitations as well. While it can be used with an SLI system, G-SYNC can’t operate in Windowed Mode, doesn’t currently support NVIDIA’s Surround multi monitor technology and will only be available through a DisplayPort interface. Don’t expect any external G-SYNC adapters either since existing monitor scalers can’t be adapted to work with the technology, nor can they be bypassed via an external hub. As you might expect, the technology is only compatible with NVIDIA’s Kepler-based cards but due to the its unique nature, I’m sure we can all understand why this needs to be held close to their chests.

Full Article
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/64586-week-nvidias-g-sync-monitor.html

Cheers and very interesting. This seems to be what the journo's all had to say in Montreal.

If there is one issue with G-SYNC it is that you have to see it to believe what it can accomplish and describing the changes it made to how I approached gaming is impossible. Right now, you may think that your current 60Hz or 120Hz panel provides a great experience. I know I did. My tune changed from the moment I started playing Battlefield 4 multiplayer with G-SYNC enabled.

The question here is simple: is NVIDIA’s G-Sync a genre-defining technology? Even in its early form I’d have to respond with an emphatic “YES!”. Plus, with some of NVIDIA’s soon-to-be-announced features, supporting monitors will quickly become a must have item for gamers provided they hit a variety of price points.

So a non gamer said that BF4 made him change his tune the moment he started playing. And claimed it as a "Genre defining technology".

Good thread cheers Matt :)

It does sound rather good doesn't it.

Nice find Matt and I did notice that you picked out the only negative section in the article for one of your quotes ;). All I would say to people is read the full article and decide for yourselves.

With technologies like this and AMD's new game orientated API arriving imminently things are looking very good for gamers over the next couple of years.

It does sound rather good doesn't it.

Nice find Matt and I did notice that you picked out the only negative section in the article for one of your quotes ;). All I would say to people is read the full article and decide for yourselves.

With technologies like this and AMD's new game orientated API arriving imminently things are looking very good for gamers over the next couple of years.

I noticed that as well but I will afford him that for the crap the AMD guys have had lately :D

The last paragraph sums it up

"Until our full review is published early next year, I can safely say that after a week of using G-SYNC,
there’s really only one word to sum up my experience thus far: awesome"

just thought I'd throw this quote in as well in case anyone was still under the illusion that it was only coming to TN/120hz+ panels;

NVIDIA’s technology is packaged into a compact module which replaces the monitor’s scaler. Since this is a hardware-centric solution (other than latent driver algorithms to insure proper functionality with the GPU), it can be outfitted to any panel technology; be it TN, IPS, PVA, IZGO or others. Initially, we’ll likely see it attached to 1080P TN “gaming” panels with 120Hz or 144Hz refresh rates but that will change as it cascades down (or up) into other segments as well.

The real benefits of G-SYNC will likely be most evident when partners begin launching 60Hz IPS displays with integrated support. Not only will they have the color accuracy and wide viewing angles IPS is known for but 60Hz panels arguably have the most to gain from G-SYNC’s stutter-reducing features.

I personally am very tempted by the idea of a 39" 4K with this, though dells nearly 4K 21:9 screen is quite interesting as well, it being an LG panel at it's heart if this appears with g-sync from somewhere that would also be a contender for me

I think the 120/144 tn only confusion came from all the demos etc.. being ran on the gsync ready asus 144hz unit.

Price wise I'm expecting around £400 at the worst for the 24" 144hz asus unit, given without the module fitted they retail from £270-£310. Price to steadily drop as more units from other partners drip into the market.

Yeah, 21:9 G-sync supporting monitor please.

Or a Samsung 32" TV that supports it. I am one of the people who uses one as a screen.

I don't really care whether it's 120hz or 60hz as my hardware wouldn't run stuff over 75-80fps atm (And I have purposely stayed away from 120hz so my 60hz does not appear laggy :P), but of course it wouldn't matter with g-sync even if I couldn't max out as Vsync is no longer needed. It would just suck seeing your FPS dip to 60 from 120 occasionally.

I think the 120/144 tn only confusion came from all the demos etc.. being ran on the gsync ready asus 144hz unit.

Price wise I'm expecting around £400 at the worst for the 24" 144hz asus unit, given without the module fitted they retail from £270-£310. Price to steadily drop as more units from other partners drip into the market.

I did point this out at the time but some people were adamant it was only coming to 120+ panels and thus wrote it off as irrelevant

the prototype / 1st edition gsync module is an FPGA, if NVidia rework it as an ASIC as volumes increase then it will drop in price, though keeping it as an FPGA could also mean they can upgrade it's features without replacing it which would be a nice feature

oculus rift or similar with gsync would also be a nice touch, shame that neither OR or CastAR look like they are coming out much before the end of next year

One thing not mentioned is whether you can plug a non-nVidia based pc into this screen and get a picture. I really hope so, as I often need to plug various PC's into my screen and it would be a PITA to have to keep a spare screen hanging about.

I mean, there's no reason why it shouldn't work and just ignore the G-Sync bit, but this is nVidia we are talking about.

One thing not mentioned is whether you can plug a non-nVidia based pc into this screen and get a picture. I really hope so, as I often need to plug various PC's into my screen and it would be a PITA to have to keep a spare screen hanging about.

I mean, there's no reason why it shouldn't work and just ignore the G-Sync bit, but this is nVidia we are talking about.

unfortunately it looks like not - with the gsync module upgrade listed on the NVidia site, the asus monitor goes from supporting HDMI and DVI to only supporting displayport

it looks like once upgraded to gsync the monitor no longer supports "normal" mode refresh

Back
Top Bottom