Aaaand the V71 PC app is auto starting with windows, without any way to disable it.

Yeh noticed this for a few days now, I've searched around, irritatingly I can't find anyway to stop it starting when Windows load. I wonder why this happened, was it on purpose or a mistake?

Yeh noticed this for a few days now, I've searched around, irritatingly I can't find anyway to stop it starting when Windows load. I wonder why this happened, was it on purpose or a mistake?

Yeah, it's a mistake, meta are asking those with the issue to file bug reports and supply diagnostic files.

A little while back the Meta app on my PC was opening each and every time the PC booted. Nothing in the start or registry to suggest why or what had changed.
It would close and remain close when manually exited, until the next boot.
But at some point I might well have enabled this....

Untitled.png

....as it was enabled. When unticked, after the process finished from Meta, it has not happened since.

For those on the V71 PTC that must change the Meta app to align with the version on the headset.

After reading that thread I'm happy enough at this point to sit out the V71 release.

A little while back the Meta app on my PC was opening each and every time the PC booted. Nothing in the start or registry to suggest why or what had changed.
It would close and remain close when manually exited, until the next boot.
But at some point I might well have enabled this....

Untitled.png

....as it was enabled. When unticked, after the process finished from Meta, it has not happened since.

For those on the V71 PTC that must change the Meta app to align with the version on the headset.

After reading that thread I'm happy enough at this point to sit out the V71 release.
Well deduced! I like being in the PTC though, I suppose bugs are to be expected. Worth it for the goodies that are enabled earlier than normal (imo).

Well deduced! I like being in the PTC though, I suppose bugs are to be expected. Worth it for the goodies that are enabled earlier than normal (imo).

I would typically agree with that, and generally I would be ok. After being made aware of the potential for some issues with V71, and then with the posts in the linked thread here, where there seems to be difficulty returning back to V69, I'll hang on.
It was Meta who informed me yesterday that for technical reasons some people might not be able to return from the PTC channel.

Good grief Charlie Brown! the Q3 V71 update doesn't like the V69 PC app software, so link/airlink just stall on the three dots of doom. VD and steamlink still work fine.
Joining the PC app PTC upgrades to V71 and they're talking again.

Good grief Charlie Brown! the Q3 V71 update doesn't like the V69 PC app software, so link/airlink just stall on the three dots of doom. VD and steamlink still work fine.
Joining the PC app PTC upgrades to V71 and they're talking again.

Doesn't the V71 headset update cause the automagic update of the PC app to the PTC channel.?

Last edited:
Doesn't the V71 headset update cause the automagic update of the PC app to the PTC channel.?

No, it's not that automagic, the PC app remained on V69 until I joined the PTC which cured it, and then left the PTC back to V69 to confirm it wasn't a fluke.

No, it's not that automagic, the PC app remained on V69 until I joined the PTC which cured it, and then left the PTC back to V69 to confirm it wasn't a fluke.

If someone opts for the PTC channel by their headset then, for compatibility reasons that Meta decide, the PC app should be automagically updated to the same build, if the PC app changes when they being to push updates to the headset.
That would be similar to how VD updates within the headset, from the library, and that in turns causes the app on the PC to start to be updated when the next connection attempt is made.

If someone opts for the PTC channel by their headset then, for compatibility reasons that Meta decide, the PC app should be automagically updated to the same build, if the PC app changes when they being to push updates to the headset.
That would be similar to how VD updates within the headset, from the library, and that in turns causes the app on the PC to start to be updated when the next connection attempt is made.

The PC app doesn't automatically update. It probably would do if both were on the PTC or both were not, but they seem like two unconnected systems.

Last edited:
The PC app doesn't automatically update. It probably would do if both were on the PTC or both were not, but they seem like two unconnected systems.

They do seem to be treated that way and yet one has dependency on the other. It would not be a complete evaluation to evaluate the PTC for the headset to then find, when pushed to stable, the PC app is unstable or causing issues when the app is updated to V71.
It just seems poorly implemented, surprising considering how long Meta have been doing this for.

It's just a meta thing.... the last two PC updates broke the hand controllers for Rift and Rift S, and also stopped games visibility in the library when offline. Which is slightly disappointing for those wanting to play a game that has an offline mode.

I did note, in the link you provided, some reported issues with the game Pop 1, with difficulty being able to return back to V69.
It was only by chance, noting the screenshot I posted above, that I understood the PC app has the ability to run on the PTC channel, with issues in my case, separate to that of the headset.
I suppose your greater experience of using these devices has made you more aware of Meta and their "things" :)

I think that's a big part of the fun. Keeping the system working enough that you can use it rather than using it. Just like retro PCs I suppose.

meta's screwup - community workaround.

Back
Top Bottom