Abit AW9D-Max or ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

Soldato
I,m about to order a new setup which board is the Better of the Two above. I will be using a E6600 with a Single X1900XT. I really am stuck between the two.

Any help is appreciated

Soldato
I would buy the Abit I think. Anything above 300fsb and on reboot my D5WDH cuts power to resync the fsb clock(it does it on all of them). I dont go above 300fsb for that reason as I dont want to risk my harddrives by the voltage being turned on and off in such a way although my conroe will go a lot quicker than the 3ghz I have it at now.

Associate
The solution to the P5WDH powering off during restart is, don't restart the rig just select `shut down` and the board powers down normally, then just switch it back on again.

Or install all your software without overclocking, restarting as neccessary, then when your done crank it back up.

My P5WDH is running @3.3Ghz Orthos stable with an E6600 on air with the geil 6400 ram, which is delivering 7300mb/sec in Sandra.

I used to use abit boards all the time until i was stung by their faulty capacitors on the BE6 boards, nearly put me out of buisiness a few years back.

I had to replace 6 failed boards with swollen capacitors. I wouln't touch abit again if they payed me.

Alternatively, look at a 965 board they now support crossfire.

Soldato
A few things to remember about the Abit AW9D-Max - Crossfire + Xi-Fi or any other PCI card is out of the question because the 2nd graphics card would block the PCI slot - poor design on Abit's part having just 1 PCI slot. Personally I dont see the point in Crossfire so it woudnt put me off.

Secondly its new! I'm tempted to wait to see what the maximum FSB is with this board in terms of overclocking potential, why blow £160 if a board for less cost does just as good job? 1st bios, so may improve when the board matures.

Digikill said:
I used to use abit boards all the time until i was stung by their faulty capacitors on the BE6 boards, nearly put me out of buisiness a few years back.

I had to replace 6 failed boards with swollen capacitors. I wouln't touch abit again if they payed me.

Alternatively, look at a 965 board they now support crossfire.
Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abit
ABIT was one of the early casualties of the capacitor plague; it bought a batch of defective Taiwanese capacitors circa 2000 which caused their motherboards to fail prematurely. ABIT has so far been the only motherboard manufacturer to admit to using capacitors that were of a poor standard, and eventually recalled and repaired any boards from users that did fail. Today the company only uses high quality Japanese capacitors, notably Rubycon.

Associate
Interesting, As i recall the mobo's intended for the UK channel were not subject to the faulty capacitors but as certain suppliers like to import grey goods from the states a quantity of the effected boards were sold in the UK at full price. Coincidentally it was not OCUK where i got the duff boards from,
it was a Bolton based supplier.

Last edited:
Soldato
Abit certainly weren't the first or the only mobo mfr to be caught out with caps - Asus, Dell, Leadtek pretty much all of them were.
Abit afaik were the only 1 to really come clean about it though repairing or replacing.

& what's the point in Crossfire on 965 when you only have 1 x16 slot & the others are x4 or X1?

Associate
what's the point in Crossfire on 965 when you only have 1 x16 slot & the others are x4 or X1?

A good point!
Come to think of it buying crossfire or SLI at the moment is crazy, especially with DX10 round the corner, you can guarentee that there will be a killer game or app that will drive the DX10 sales.

All of us are gonna want the new eye candy, period.

imagine in a few weeks "x1900xtx crossfire for sale (3 months old) anyone!"

Back on topic. Moogleys i would opt for the P5WDH or if you can afford it the P5W64-WS Pro

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Decided to go with the abit in the end read some good reviews on the net...

Ordered for delivery tomorrow.

Goods Ordered (prices in GBP)
£134.99 x 1 - Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-108-AB)
£149.99 x 1 - GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC) (MY-058-GL)
£194.99 x 1 - Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail (CP-128-IN)
£194.99 x 1 - Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-112-SP) £47.50 x 1 - Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 250GB 6V250F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-088-MD)
£23.95 x 1 - Samsung SH-W163 16x16 DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) (CD-076-SA)
£27.95 x 1 - Akasa AK-ZEN-01-BK Zen Black Case - No PSU (CA-020-AK)
£51.99 x 1 - Tagan TG480-U01 480W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-000-TG)

Soldato
you can find good reviews for Foxconn mobos too even though they're a POS :p

the abit looks a good solid board from those who have it so far ...good luck with the build.

Associate
Specs look good, let us know how you get on with your build.

The stock coolers on the x1900xt's like the sappire you ordered are a tad noisey, you may wish to consider the HIS which has a silent cooler even at XTX speeds IMO. It's worth it for an extra £17 ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
its all ordered now mate and hopefully on its way. if its too noisy I will get an aftermarket cooler and see what that does.

looking forward to seeing how it performs against my current setup, hopefully I should see a nice improvement.

Back
Top Bottom