Absolute novice looking for direction

Associate
OP
What experience do you have in drive high performance cars? If not a lot, you won't find a 600cc bike slow after the first year. Those who do, usually haven't found the top of the revs!

I echo what others have said, the SV650, ER6, Z650 etc are great, reliable bikes which have plenty of accessible power for a new starter. You will probably learn on one of these bikes (or similar) as part of your DAS.

One thing I will say: don't buy a bike now. On your DAS, the type of bike and engine size you want will come to you. For some inspiration, if you don't like sports bikes, I would look at the Suzuki SV650X, Yamaha MT07, Honda CB650R for inspiration.

Was a bit of a boy racer in my day, had a car that was featured in max power, my last love was a scooby but got rid of that when my second child was on the way (2006).

SV650 sounds like the one for me, wont be buying until Dec or Jan as my DAS isn't until Dec (so I couldn't even test ride or pick up a bike).

Where do us bikers (lol) get gloves etc, I've looked on amazon but they all seem cheap and crap. I have a helmet left over from 6 years ago that I bought from the CBT centre.

Soldato
Sportsbikeshop is very good and is my main place as they stock all the good manufacturers.

J&S is also a reasonably good shop too.

both have retailers around the country. SBS have a shop in Milton Keynes which will be your closest. Their main shop/warehouse is in Lincolnshire, the MK shop will stock their most popular lines. If you see items you like on SBS, you can order them to try on at the Milton Keynes store with no commitment to buy, so order all sizes etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I did the same thing just over 2 years ago.
I was a total novice to motorcycling, I passed my CBT then bought a 125 (Honda Varadero).
I really enjoyed that bike and it helped me gain confidence both to pass my test 1st attempt and buy my next bike 6 months later a R1150GS - this wasn’t a great move as it was too tall/heavy for me as a beginner.
I therefore bought a cheap BMW R850R to gain confidence in and this has worked a treat for me.
I now enjoy both bikes, ride with a pillion most of the time and generally do ok.
My advice is don’t be scared of buying a 125 if you are a novice, it’s great practice and non intimidating - I sold mine not because I was bored of it but because I bought the GS - too early tbh but it was too good to turn down (20,000 miles and no corrosion at all). I sold my 125 for more than I paid for it however I did do a fair bit of work to it during the time I owned it.
I did my test on a Honda NC750S and I found that very practical and pleasant to ride, however I believe the A test has now changed and you need to ride a 70 bhp bike to take it (such as my R850R).
I would stay clear of 1 litre sports bikes and tall/heavy bikes like the GS.
The Honda Rebel posted above looks ideal.
I’m 49 next month.
Good luck, it’s very enjoyable and I’m addicted.

Associate
I'll second, or third or fifth the vote of confidence in the sv650. I bought a new 08 Sport (all the plastics). Was confidence inspiring and the V high engine braking is generally considered a good thing. Something about helping to make sure you're doing slow in fast out.

Sadly I lived in London then and sold it after several months and a Europe trip as I wasn't using it and got a bit disillusioned with it all, which I blamed on London.

Moved to Berkshire and then got a BMW F800ST. Nice enough. Abs, heated grips you know, but mine had piston slap. Newer engined did better, and I enjoyed the belt drive.

I think the SV felt more sporty and enjoyed being used more energetically. But maybe I feel that way as I then went to a K1300S and whenever BMW put me on an 800 courtesy bike it felt terrible in comparison :p.

Good luck with the theory!

Associate
OP
Theory Test tomorrow. I'm getting 9/10 or 10/10 on the practice questions, but these bloody hazard perception videos are stupid. I've got the DVLA test app on my phone, you have to watch them like you're paranoid!! AAARRRGHHH A BLADE OF GRASS , OOOOOOHHH A CAR!

Wish me luck.

Soldato
Theory Test tomorrow. I'm getting 9/10 or 10/10 on the practice questions, but these bloody hazard perception videos are stupid. I've got the DVLA test app on my phone, you have to watch them like you're paranoid!! AAARRRGHHH A BLADE OF GRASS , OOOOOOHHH A CAR!

Wish me luck.
Best of luck, you'll be fine. :)

Soldato
At least it's the questions you failed on not hazard perception.

Just revise those you'll be fine, the hazard perception can be hard for people if they just do t get.

Looks like you smashed the hazard perception also.

Back
Top Bottom