Accessible Bungalow Renovation

Soldato
OP
its come on really well, the finishes all look blooming fantastic no wonder you're so pleased with it :)

The way the path curves in that gentle S shape really lengthens the garden out a clever idea

Thanks :) I had the idea about a curved path, but it was the landscape gardener who measured it out and made sure the gradient was ok for me in my chair.

Looks fantastic so far, I bet you're pleased?

Cheers :) Yeah I really am, I'd like to think I've done my late sister proud as well. This will be my forever home, a place I can grow into and coming from a flat I'm enjoying having much more room.

Soldato
OP
Day 11

CR6bkoM.jpg 4OxluFn.jpg

The landscapers where back to finish off widening the path at the end of the ramp. They also finished off laying new turf and added a second plant bed over in the shade.

Day 12 - Deck Build Day Five

DKPnxyG.jpg RZSS56k.jpg 73gd0Lp.jpg

The deck furniture now been put out after being assembled. The lower part of the ramp has now had it's side finishing strips screwed on as well.

Final Photos

Q8g1a4V.jpg ggaZevD.jpg

I'm really thrilled with the fantastic transformation over 12 working days, spread out just over a month in total. A Job for next year will be to treat the older part of the lawn and bring it up to scratch and hopefully get it to match the newer lawn.

The Scottish weather decided to play fair at the start of the week and it was warm enough to sit out and enjoy this fantastic new space :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The quality of the work looks first class. What's next on the list?

Next on the list is to get the railings made and installed on the deck along with treating the front and back lawns next year....apart from that NOTHING! Time to enjoy it :D :cool:

It all looks great.
I bet you are proud.

Good job. :)

Cheers! I've been lucky and had some brilliant trades working with me on this, most of which have been friends of my main joiner who did the majority of the work through out the project.

Soldato
OP
Deck Railings

Better late than never my blacksmith friend was back to construct the railings for the deck over the weekend. It was well worth the wait as once again he's done a fantastic job! :cool:
It's nice to have the same style railings both at front and back of the house. With the railings now done that's the last major job for the time being and finishes off the back garden work and makes the new deck totally maintenance free going forward :D

pC3TpjM.jpg 5JZVVir.jpg 90kwnFz.jpg 9LwdS9O.jpg JP9MjFd.jpg qlsyEIX.jpg 9Srckkb.jpg heQgKE3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks great!

I've been reading the thread and the quality of work done looks outstanding.

Cheers!
icon14.gif
I've been lucky and had some great trades working with me on this, most of which have been friends of my main joiner who did the majority of the work through out the project except from the kitchen and wet room.

Associate
I agree with the above comments about the quality, I have been on many building sites over the years and must say the quality of work is right up there at the top. Credit to you and the team for undertaking such a fantastic project.

Soldato
OP
I agree with the above comments about the quality, I have been on many building sites over the years and must say the quality of work is right up there at the top. Credit to you and the team for undertaking such a fantastic project.

Thanks very much
icon14.gif
:) I consider myself really lucky that I had good people helping me out throughout. Looking forward to enjoying the fruits of all the work both theres and my own in 2016.

Managed to get a few photos of the completed deck at night. The deck lights hitting off the railings look great.

7S6APQG.jpg P2RzrpW.jpg
Another job I had done early in 2015 but didn't document unfortunately was having the Soffit and Fascias on the roof clad in PVC. The roof and boarding was needing attention in some areas so it made sense to do the small roof repairs and improvements at the same time.
By cladding the Soffit and Fascias in PVC means that they are now maintenance free and will not need to be stripped, painted and sealed ever again.

Last edited:
Associate
what a transformation. I hope you'll get some good weather this year to enjoy the garden.
I lived in Livingston for around 18 month about 17 years ago. I lived in the Craigshill area back then but I moved to Edinburgh as it was closer to work at the time.

Soldato
OP
what a transformation. I hope you'll get some good weather this year to enjoy the garden.
I lived in Livingston for around 18 month about 17 years ago. I lived in the Craigshill area back then but I moved to Edinburgh as it was closer to work at the time.

Thanks! I'm with you there fingers crossed for good weather. I bought a Weber BBQ last year and it's still in the box, really hope I can finally break it out and use it this summer.

You wouldn't recognise Livingston now, it's been through some rapid growth even since I've lived here.

Associate
Stumbled across this thread after you posted images of your garden in the "Post Your Garden!" thread Valo. The transformation is remarkable. Really very nice work :)

Soldato
OP
Stumbled across this thread after you posted images of your garden in the "Post Your Garden!" thread Valo. The transformation is remarkable. Really very nice work :)

Thanks very much
icon14.gif

I can't take any credit for actually doing the work, that was all down to fantastic trades....but did enjoy overseeing and managing certain bits of the work, looking back on it now. At the time it felt relentless and like a never-ending saga!

Back
Top Bottom