Accessing Registry on slave hard disk. (ASAP?)

Permabanned
First sorry I hate putting ASAP, but I would really appreciate a quick answer on this one.

I have a machine that has a screw up in it's registry stopping it from logging into windows in safe mode or otherwise.

Does anyone know of a tool that will let me access the registry on that machine, when I have it's hard disk slaved in a working machine?

PLease dont suggest a BOOT disk or cd as I dont have that luxury here I am affraid.

Associate
Not had any time to think about it I'm afraid, but the first thought into my head is that if the registry field is in user settings then perhaps load ntuser.dat as a hive?

I'll keep thinking but thats all I can think of for the moment :)

Associate
2nd idea along the same lines...
In regedit in the File menu click Load Hive.
In Look in click the drive that is the slave and has the broken OS, click Open.

See if that loads the whole registry for that Machine.
Not sure if it is that inteligent, but worth a pop eh?

Permabanned
If it has system restore enabled you could copy the hive files from a restore point into that machines system area. Must admit that even though Ive done this a few times in the past I still refer to the (pretty good) Microsoft documentation at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Obviously as the scenario in the MS document is at the command-line from a recovery CD it wont be word for word but the idea is pretty much the same and the task should actually be slightly easier as a slave drive :).

Associate
marc2003 said:
afaik you can only edit the registry on a live machine be it local or over a network. :)
Check this folder
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

I think the registry hives are the ones with no extensions.
Although in The_KiD's case it would be D:...
Once again I may be wrong :p

Permabanned
OP
Pyrosoft, you are 100% right, I have managed now to edit the registry fromthe slave disk in the above directory.

Problem solved :)

Ta guys I appreciate the quick responses.

Back
Top Bottom