Accidentally Disabled my Own iPhone...

Soldato
Lacking in the brain department, I seem to have forgotten my pincode and I managed to enter it incorrectly enough times to disable it. Now I need suggestions as to how I can get it back.

• I can't connect it to iTunes because this phone somehow isn't recognised by iTunes (I'm going to tinker with the Apple USB driver today).
  • The iCloud's erase-phone function won't work fully because the phone isn't connected to the internet.

Can an Apple Store unlock it? What makes it worse is that I think I need just one more go at the code because I think I've found it. Thanks for any help!

Soldato
Once a phone becomes disabled it needs to be erased.
Apple store can do it but might be a delay to be seen depending how busy the store is as policy is that an appointment will be required.

Re: iTunes. It might not be detected due to usb-restricted (phone hasn’t been unlocked for x hours)

Try turning the phone off.
Load iTunes
Then connect the cable to the phone (which forces the phone to power on) and as soon as the cable is inserted press and hold:

iPhone 5-6s: home button
iPhone 7: volume down
iPhone 8 or newer: side / power button

Until iTunes states the phone needs
To be restored.
Then restore it

Soldato
If you can't do that, put it into DFU mode.

It's different for each generation so depending which phone you have you need to press the buttons in a certain order. I used to know it off heart when i was into jailbreaking

Soldato
Since iOS 11 recovery mode (my method) and dfu recovery mode achieve the same thing unless your trying to roll back to an older OS.
If all you need to do is erase the phone stay clear of dfu as it takes longer for no real benefit

Soldato
OP
Well I had no joy, alas, so I took it to the Apple Store today and they tried a few things and then gave up, saying it's now useless because there's a hardware problem with the port and so it will never be recognised by iTunes. It's a shame because it seems like it should be just a simple fix to me.

Soldato
Well I had no joy, alas, so I took it to the Apple Store today and they tried a few things and then gave up, saying it's now useless because there's a hardware problem with the port and so it will never be recognised by iTunes. It's a shame because it seems like it should be just a simple fix to me.

Try an AASP, sounds silly, but you buying a new phone is more in Apples interest. An AASP would prefer to fix it as they make money from repairs not sales (that is of course provided it is not also a reseller).

Soldato
Yeah - but it’s the same fee as a mail in service so why bother with the travel

Because he already took it to Apple who told him it's useless so they obviously didn't give him that option. Rather than telling him he can have it sent for out of warranty repair (at his cost ofc). Whether he mailed it in or not, he would still need either Apple or an ASP to create the repair for him and he already had essentially a no from Apple..hence my try an AASP comment.

Back
Top Bottom