Accidentally ran over a glass bottle today :(

Soldato
Had now way to be able to swerve out the way. Tyre seems fine for now will have to check again later. Hoping it's a fixable repair if it is damaged. Why do people put glass anything on road? It's so disrespectful and inconsiderate.

Anyone else ever had this issue, am I worrying more than I think. In 2 years I've never driven over glass always tried to avoid so not sure how resilient tyres are to them.

ADT

ADT

Associate
I reckon you will be fine as I have done it in the past before. Just check it to see that there is no visual damage etc.
People always chuck bottles outside my garage door as it's next to a supermarket :(

daz

daz

Soldato
An (already) broken bottle of vodka managed to give me a slow puncture, but I think I was just unlucky. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update: The tyre seems fine, nothing stuck in it, and no deflation over night. I will be keeping an eye on it though over the next few days.

Ouch, unfortunate for you.

Soldato
Glass is to brittle usually to cause damage to a tyre unless you hit at an odd angle, on a car tyre anyhow...

Metal things, like screws, nails, bolts, and other metal objects are a far bigger threat :(.

Associate
It doesn't even need to be sharp, ive seen a fair few blunt bolts pierce a tyre.

I've seen a car at work in the past that had a bolt (probably around M8 x 30mm) in both the rear tyres... the tyres were holding out, until the bolts were removed :p

As for glass, unless you're very unlucky and/or running with very low tread, it's not going to cause any issue. For starters, the thickness of the rubber means it's got a long way to go before it actually does anything. Worst you'll get is a ~1/10th mm nick in the tread.

Back
Top Bottom