Account security on shopping sites

Soldato
More of a rhetorical question than a 'how can I?' question...

I find nothing more annoying than purchasing goods from an online retailer and not being able to find a 'Log Out' button once the order has gone through. Why do websites do this? Surely they should all give you the option to log out?

I'm probably missing something here, but isn't this horribly unsecure?

Suspended
glitch said:
More of a rhetorical question than a 'how can I?' question...

I find nothing more annoying than purchasing goods from an online retailer and not being able to find a 'Log Out' button once the order has gone through. Why do websites do this? Surely they should all give you the option to log out?

I'm probably missing something here, but isn't this horribly unsecure?

Not really - it depends on the method they are using to take your order. For example OCUK use actinic (shudder) and this is simply a cookie for your basket and the server side perl creates a temp file with the contents.

During the entering details stage its done via https and there your transaction with the server is secure.

If you are referring to a website where you login to place an order with user/pass and it actually holds your credit card data - its only insecure if someone else has access to your computer or the site is incredibly badly written.

Back
Top Bottom