Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Soldato
Mine did too, dont worry about it though. When it hangs leave it for afew mins and just restart, the drivers are installed when you check in device manager and it wont bother you again. I have zero intention of actually using the fingerprint reader.

ive left it be for 2o mins, it doesnt move past that point

but on reboot the driver is in the device manager

but how do you use (activate) the finger print to work, i cant find it anywhere?

Soldato
OP
but how do you use (activate) the finger print to work, i cant find it anywhere?

You need to check in the other thread titled '13.3" laptop please' which was the original one when I first came across this laptop. I can't remember who but someone was using the fingerprint reader but even he decided to disable it as it takes much longer to boot up.

Associate
ive left it be for 2o mins, it doesnt move past that point

but on reboot the driver is in the device manager

I gave up in the end, i got the driver installed but couldnt find any software to work with it!

Associate
I got my 8371G yesterday, replaced original 320GB drive with OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 SSD one, OC'ed CPU and Win 7 Pro is flying now. I must admit it's an amazing piece of laptop.

The only thing that makes me sad is non working fingerprint reader, I got the driver installed but still no Biometric Devices icon in CP :/

I would love to have it working.

Any recommendations on additional (half size) SSD drives? Which one is worth attention?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Soldato
The fingerprint reader works fine guys using the Acer driver/software. Just install THIS DRIVER (it's for the 8371, W7 64bit), restart and thats it.

The program to enrole your fingerprint is in the start menu under the Acer - Acer Bio Protection. When you run this it will ask you to start the Wizard to set up your fingerprint.

I installed it when I first got my 8371 without any issues but promptly uninstalled the software because it has the focus at the login screen which means I can't just type my password in without either alt-tabbing or clicking on password text box to give focus back to the proper windows login screen.

Just to make sure I wasn't going mad after reading all these problems everyone else is having with the fingerprint reader I have just re-installed it using the driver I posted again, it works fine.

Hope this is of some help :)

Soldato
I already tried it few times. The progress bar on the installation screen gets stuck in the middle and nothing else happens.

same here. .

that is the one im using but it doesnt install properly

If you wait a bit ill upload the fingerprint for win7 x64 and try that one. It worked for me so it should for you. Will update this post in 15/20 when its up with a link.

LINK: http://www.multiupload.com/ZMHED1AWUE

is this any different to the one on the ACER website?

Associate
If you wait a bit ill upload the fingerprint for win7 x64 and try that one. It worked for me so it should for you. Will update this post in 15/20 when its up with a link.

LINK: http://www.multiupload.com/ZMHED1AWUE

Sweet, thanks.

I will try it tonight.

Could you also confirm which of the drogonuk's custom roms is worth a try? I can see that few of them have been posted here.

Cheers.

Associate
is this any different to the one on the ACER website?

No but i thought that due to long transfer rates something my get corrupted. This was downed differently and faster. Therefore the isssues corrupted bits may be lower. So try may help you out. To me if it stalls it either corruption or something much much worse...

Also i have not set up the finger print bit. Does it go in nicely with win7 or does it require you to do it at boot? As you need to set up a bio password etc, seems a little over kill to me.

Soldato
thank you

will try it tongiht

if i can get it working , ill only use it while im away .. dont think i would bother for day to day use once im back

Associate
Just a thought....have you tried extracting the archive to a folder then right clicking the setup exe and selecting run as administrator?

I am pretty sure i extracted it before, but im not sure i ran as administrator.

I also am not sure if i used setup.exe, or the msi installer thing.

How ever i have done what you said.... and it WORKED, woo lol.

Thanks. not sure if ill leave it on after all that tbh hah.

Soldato
ahh thats good news :)

It's worth remembering that in W7 there are 2 types of administrators, there's administrators and then there's administrators lol - a user account that has been given administrative privileges is still slightly limited in what it has access to where as the actual local administrator account has full access to everything (this is normally seen as the run as option).

Not sure what the msi installer is? maybe it just calls setup.exe but seems to die half way through?

Soldato
i did extract mine and did run setup but didnt try it as administrator as i was logged in as administrator already

will try again tonight..

Associate
ahh thats good news :)

It's worth remembering that in W7 there are 2 types of administrators, there's administrators and then there's administrators lol - a user account that has been given administrative privileges is still slightly limited in what it has access to where as the actual local administrator account has full access to everything (this is normally seen as the run as option).

Not sure what the msi installer is? maybe it just calls setup.exe but seems to die half way through?

Yeah, must be something like that, or maybe the exe includes the acer software as part of it running, where as the msi is just the driver so it hangs, dunno :s

Still happy it worked, ill decide in next few days whether i will keep it or not.

Back
Top Bottom