Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
I just put in a warrenty claim, not sure if i want to follow it through though its so much hassle.

I have to find a box as i cant use my original as they said they wont send it back (great!).

I have to buy some bubble rap to send it back in (which i wouldnt have to if they would let me use the box and just return the box to me with the laptop!!).

I really am not sure what to do, as they also threatened a 70 pound fee if it was a software issue (im sure its not), but the problem is kind of intermittent so im worried they will just update some software or something and then say problem solved.

:( so annoyed.

EDIT: Decided i should try and use the warrenty, although i can see a lot of hassle! Have just bought some bubble wrap of ebay, now to find a suitable box!

Last edited:
Associate
bit of a thread revival..

Just wondering how people are getting along with these?

Mines fantastic for when I use it, its just I hardly use it any more. Bit of a shame but my use for it has pretty much gone.

Associate
Apart from the screen replacement, its been fine. Acer sorted it very well. Only wish they had not placed a large warranty sticker over a screw, which is now pealing off.... great.

Soldato
I use my 3810tzg everyday for work and pleasure. Awesome machine, especially with the Seagate Momentus XT hybrid disk drive.

Since getting it I got the Travelmate 8471 for the missus and the mother-in-law got the 3820tz which is also very very good.

Awesome stuff for the price ;)

Soldato
Very pleased - still :) - with my 8371; has been a good machine and only problem I ever seem to get is some wierd flickering in IE when switching between battery and mains.....pretty sure this is something to do with the GFX swapover when the AC power goes on, but meh !
Kinda keeping an eye out for any dragonuk posts, as I would still really appreciate one of his excellent modded BIOS files, but one that will keep Vista activated....

Associate
Whats that for? Im deliberating about sending mine as not sure i want the hassle when the problem is intermitent and they might not sort it!

haha what's your problem? :) I would say that the support (for me) was very good when i eventually got ups to pick it up, was repaired then next day and returned to me the day after so 3 days in total.

Associate
haha what's your problem? :) I would say that the support (for me) was very good when i eventually got ups to pick it up, was repaired then next day and returned to me the day after so 3 days in total.

The screen sometimes flickers a lot, and others not so noticably, and sometimes not at all! Very annoying.

What was the problem with yours?

Associate
The screen sometimes flickers a lot, and others not so noticably, and sometimes not at all! Very annoying.

What was the problem with yours?

Back light went completely, would no longer turn at all. So it seems to be a step further than yours. In fact mine went like that then next time I turned on the laptop the screen did not... Talk to acer and see what they say...

Soldato
There does seem to be a backlight issue with these laptops. as soon as there are any problems with the screen go running to acer and get it fixed.

Associate
I haven't ever caught it using over 3GB, even while gaming - let alone 8!
So I doubt its paging much, so more RAM isn't really going to help, unless your doing something thats gunna be throwing huge files around like CAD or video editing...

Overclocking the gpu does give a much better performance in games though! And its great that 720p scales to the screen so well because thats the resolution I use in games!
Be careful though because I white-screened mine a couple of times when the gpu was overclocked on battery power.

Back
Top Bottom