Activision "didn't want Modern Warfare"

Associate
In what could've turned out be one of the biggest blunders in game business history, Activision originally did not want Call of Duty 4 to be a 'Modern Warfare' game, Infinity Ward has revealed.

Speaking in an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine, Infinity Ward boss Vince Zampella revealed that the developer has wanted to create a modern combat game - and work on consoles - for years, but Activision's held them back.

"With Call of Duty 2, we were dead set against it being World War 2," Zampella told OPM, "but Activision really wanted it, the compromise sort of being that we'd get some dev kits for consoles in exchange for doing a World War 2 game.

"We always wanted to be on consoles and Activision saw us as more of a PC developer," he said.

"And something I'll add to that, Activision also did not want Modern Warfare. They thought working on a modern game was risky and [thought], 'oh my god you can't do that, it's crazy!' They were doing market research to show us we were wrong the whole time," he said.

"We had to fight for everything," chimed in CoD project lead, Jason West. "They wanted it to be World War 2. Again."

Of course the publisher's risk in letting Infinity Ward go against the surveys paid off massively, and CoD 4: Modern Warfare ended up shifting over 14 million copies.

"It just blows us away. I'm still reeling from it," Zampella said of the success.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=224900&source=newsletter

Back
Top Bottom