Add AMD FSR to most VR games

Soldato
Little late to the party, it’s been around a couple of weeks, but didn’t see a thread about this.

Thanks to fholger we can now use FidelityFX super resolution in any D3D11 openVR game https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

Haven’t had a chance to get it installed yet, but it’s going straight into ACC when I get a chance!

Post your success (or lack of success) with various games here perhaps! - got it installed into both AMS2 and ACC, will hopefully get a chance to try it out this eve.

Last edited:
Soldato
Little late to the party, it’s been around a couple of weeks, but didn’t see a thread about this.

Thanks to fholger we can now use FidelityFX super resolution in any D3D11 openVR game https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

Haven’t had a chance to get it installed yet, but it’s going straight into ACC when I get a chance!

Post your success (or lack of success) with various games here perhaps! - got it installed into both AMS2 and ACC, will hopefully get a chance to try it out this eve.

Please update with your findings :)

Soldato
OP
Ok so I’m using a Reverb G2 for reference, 5800X, 3090, 32gb DDR4 @ 3600mhz CL16

ACC:

Original settings (using reshade CAS):

- Steam resolution 60%, 70% in game render res, 150% VR pixel density = ~90% GPU @ 90hz.

- Observations: vast improvement over stock settings, CAS was a huge improvement.

After FidelityFX Super resolution (default config file):

- leaving all other settings unchanged ~60% GPU @ 90hz

- Observations: surprisingly clear still, but a notable step down from previous setup in overall visual quality.

After FSR and tweaking for new headroom:

- Steam 60%, 100% (+30) in game render res, 155% (+5) pixel density = ~90% GPU @ 90hz

- Observations: as good as ACC has ever looked on my system. I would say definitely a step up from the previous setup in amount of detail and overall visual quality.

Verdict - worthwhile for ACC!

(For all setups Sharpen slider @ 140, TAA epic).

AMS 2 = Crash on start. No bueno for me. Will see If I can find out why.

EDIT - AMS2 fixes here https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/fsr-for-openvr.19036/

Last edited:
Soldato
FidelityFX is nothing but a good thing if you're into ACC.

G2 100% Steam VR Epic in game preset, FidelityFX 0.9 ultra quality, 1.0 sharp.

Holds 55 frames, enforced 45 for a smooth ride. Looks as good as it does on a monitor now. Just come off a 30 min league race, ran flawlessly, no stutters, no freezes.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’ve now got FSR running in both AC and DCS for use with a Rift S. Solid 80fps in AC at max visual quality, very nice.

Following some tweaking, have also achieved a 50% frame rate improvement in DCS with little if any obvious decrease in clarity. Big smiles here.

Soldato
Will this work with any Dx11 game that uses Steam VR then, even if the game is not installed in Steam (like I have DCS standalone non-steam version for example)

Also, I'm therefore guessing this won't work with Flight Sim 2020 Gamepass version?

Soldato
Will this work with any Dx11 game that uses Steam VR then, even if the game is not installed in Steam (like I have DCS standalone non-steam version for example)

Also, I'm therefore guessing this won't work with Flight Sim 2020 Gamepass version?

I assume if it uses the openvr_api.dll then yes.

Soldato
OP

It doesn't have to be in your steam library (well the app lokis linked above does require it, but the FSR enabled OpenVR dll does not - you'll just have to manually place it).

However, it won't work with MSFS for an entirely different reason, which is that MSFS only uses OpenXR... so until someone develops an OpenXR version with it enabled we're out of luck there.

Soldato
It doesn't have to be in your steam library (well the app lokis linked above does require it, but the FSR enabled OpenVR dll does not - you'll just have to manually place it).

However, it won't work with MSFS for an entirely different reason, which is that MSFS only uses OpenXR... so until someone develops an OpenXR version with it enabled we're out of luck there.

thanks dude, makes sense.

Associate

Shame MSFS would be literally the perfect candidate for this! Here's hoping for official or unofficial support later down the line!

Associate
I usually boot my racing sims through Oculus but if I was going to use this I'm guessing I'd have to run them through the steam launcher for it to work?

Feel like I'm going to get in way over depth when I give this a shot tonight :cry:

Associate
Tried this in Fallout 4 VR and made things look much better. I had to drop Oculus device SS down to 1.1 on my system though. Skyrim I can use 1.3 ok without any noticeable stutter.
By the way, I’ve been keeping Steam VR supersampling at 100% for all games and then just playing with the Oculus device SS. I also keep in-game SS at 1.0 too

Associate
What settings are people using on a Quest 2? What resolution are you using in the oculus app? What super sampling? oculus tray tools or in-game?
I kind of change them quite a bit on a game by game basis as I okay wildly different games in terms of performance. Beat saber at 120hz can be played at like 1.8 on the Oculus settings (I think). Not sure if it's better to do the ss in game Vs Oculus Vs debug tool but that's probably more personal preference. For something like Squadrons I tone it down to 80hz to get max Fidelity as that's more important to me in that kind of game than smoothness and responsiveness. So heavily dependent

Soldato
OP
My personal feeling is that it generally works pretty well in games with TAA… TAA is great at AA and does a semi respectable job of upscaling but is really blurry. This seems to do a nice job of sharpening it back up.

In games like AMS2 with MSAA I think it’s less useful.

Back
Top Bottom