Add wireless access point/mesh to Sky router with per device monitoring?

Soldato
Is anyone aware of an access point or better still a mesh that you can add to a Sky Router, ideally as an Access Point (people say you need to add it as an access point due to double nat issues?) which can allow you all the functionality of see whay wireless devices are attached, and to see their current usage etc etc?

I believe many/most/all Mesh systems running as an access point means you loose the per device (wireless) control/monitoring?

Soldato
OP
Ubiquiti UniFi will let you do this. But you’ll need to run the controller constantly, so either a PC, raspberry pi or a Cloud Key would be required.
Would prefer it to be self contained. ie: Just control/set it from my phone (or a web app) if/when I need to.

Soldato
OP
Then you need the UniFi Dream Machine! It’s got everything built in to one unit. Put your SuperHub into modem mode and let the UDM do everything else. If you need more WLAN coverage than the UDM gives you then you can wire-in or wirelessly mesh (an)other UniFi access point(s).
There is no Modem Mode on Sky routers... If there was then any mesh system would fit the bill basically. But to be trouble free (double nat problems free) you'd need to run a mesh in AP mode from what I understand...?

Soldato
OP
If you want to check it, it takes two clicks, one to fire up the controller application, another to click the link on the controller window to take you to the overview, you are only going to be able to reduce that by one click, so it seems like a decent fit for your request. You can run the iOS app to adopt/configure AP's, but really you would be better using the web interface and running a controller conventionally as either docker/key/pi.
Are we talking about the Ubiquiti UniFi? So that could take over my Wireless network and give me full control and stats of what's using via an Android App?

Soldato
OP
Wonder if something like the TP-Link Deco P9 might be what I'm after. Simply a plug in new wifi network and it creates an AP mesh network via homeplug and wifi. The app seems to offer control of any/all devices using it, and usage control and figures?!

Soldato
OP
sorry - I got my Sky and Virgin mixed up. What’s the problem with double-NATing the connection? The UniFi controller will still show you what you want to see.
Double NAT from my understanding is where basically two routers are fighting over IP allocation. Hence leaving the Sky router to handle IP address alocation, and an AP of some sort simply to handle wifi, and ideally monitor/store/show device usage and apply rules (eg: bedtime).

Yes, but you need to run the controller 24/7 on something to collect the information. You can see it on the App, but the web interface (as advised by @Avalon above) will give you all the exposed options and data.
I don't want to run a controller (eg: PC)? From my understanding the TP-Link Deco P9 will keep a history of usage etc and allow you to view it view a phone app.

Will the UniFi allow this, or as suggested do you need to run a capture server or like to achieve that?

Soldato
OP
Looking at the Deco P9, I've got a funny feeling in Access Point mode it loses most features of interest, including device usage figures (for some reason) :(

So looks like it could not be used in AP mode with any/all issues that means. ie: I have Plex and port forwarding rules to a game server PC etc...

Soldato
OP
Your port forwarding would be done via the router as normal, nothing to do with the AP. Also you wouldn’t run a Plex server on wifi, that’s a horrible idea.
It's looking like to get any functionality of note, you can't run the mesh in AP mode, so it would need to be in "full router mode".

Plex isn't run on wifi. Just wary of gaining external access to it (from around the planet) with two routers rather than just the current one...

Back
Top Bottom