Adding 3 monitors to a laptop that has 1 HDMI port?

Associate
Hi there,

I have a laptop that has 1 HDMI port and I would like to link up 3 monitors to it. What would be the best way to do this? I'm guessing I need some sort of HDMI box/splitter?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Associate
OP
I have some other USB connectors if that helps.

I basically want to use three screens so I can have different windows open on different screens

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

A lot of that goes straight over my head, sorry! :rolleyes:

It will be displaying a browser on one probably, adobe suite on the main and something else on the other, maybe a folder etc. I'm not using it for gaming or anything like that.

I know this is a big ask, but could anyone point me in the right direction of the product(s) I would need, say on Amazon(UK)?

Thanks everyone for your time, I really appreciate it.

Associate
OP
Hi again,

Would it not work if I just got a HDMI junction box so I can plug multiple HDMIs into that? So one going in the the box and then 2 or 3 going out of that into the screens?

Associate
OP
Would something like this work:

StarTech.com USB C to 4 HDMI Adapter - External Video & Graphics Card - USB Type-C to Quad HDMI Display Adapter Dongle - 1080p 60Hz - Multi Monitor Video Converter - Windows Only (USBC2HD4)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I see, thanks for looking into that.

I understand teh Dell might be better for this laptop, but I will probably be switching to a newer laptop which isn't a Dell, so hoping the one I buy will work with thar.

Would you say this one would do the job:

StarTech.com USB C to 4 HDMI Adapter - External Video & Graphics Card - USB Type-C to Quad HDMI Display Adapter Dongle - 1080p 60Hz - Multi Monitor Video Converter - Windows Only (USBC2HD4)​

If I were to buy and test it?

Thanks for the heads-up too, I have removed the link.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I have found this one:

D6000 USB-C Triple Docking Station, Up to three 4K Displays via USB-C, UHD 5K, USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, 130-Watt AC Adapter, Charges up to 65W laptop via USB-C, 452-BCYT 452-BCYH (Renewed)​

Would this do the job? How does it allow three displays if there are only two HDMI ports? Probably being stupid here!

Thanks!

Associate
OP
I see, but I wanted three monitors rather than two monitors and one laptop screen. Could I just link the laptop to a screen (like I do at the moment with a HDMI) and then link the other 2 screens with the above station?

Associate
OP
I've also found this one which seems to say it will do the job:

USB C Docking Station Dual Monitor HDMI for Dell HP, Thunderbolt 3/4 Dock Multiport USB C Hub Quad Monitor Docking Station to 2 HDMI,Displayport,VGA,Ethernet,5 USB,PD,SD/TF,3.5MM for Lenovo,MacBook​

It lists the Dell "Laptop 5590" and mine is the Inspiron 5580 - I guess this will again be a try and test?

Associate
OP
Ok, so I have now have a dock with 2 HDMI ports and 1 VGA port. I can link up two monitors which work, but I cannot get the third one to work.

What's happening is I have three screens, but one of them is the laptop screen. I guess I need to know if there is a way to get the laptop screen onto the third screen?

Is this possible or do I need to buy another item?

Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom