Adding a bathroom - soil stack difficulties

Soldato
Sorry this is going to be a long one... but I hope you bear with me.

The left is what we used to have, the right is what we are going for.
I have completed the small bedroom (Bottom right), and the large bedroom (bottom left).

Just to note, the two little rooms next to the old 'big bedroom', was a built in wardrobe accessible from the large bedroom, and next to it was a room with just a toilet and a sink over the cistern.

We've knocked that through so that the landing now goes to the back of the house. We only had a toilet here before, so now we want to have a proper bathroom. There is a cold + hot water feed accessible easily under the floorboards. The issue is the soil pipe.

Here is a photo of the outside of the rear of the house:

And imposing where the stack and branch to the old toilet is so people can get their bearings:

With these pictures I'm sure you can now see my difficulty :D

Here is inside upstairs, you can see the window and where the pipe comes in for the old toilet. The vertical line of exposes bricks is more or less where the existing soil pipe is on the outside.

You can see the two stud walls either side of the end of the landing, we also want the window to be centered at the end of the landing, but that's exactly where the stack is.

So I see only 1 option, and that is to bring the pipe inside as close to the 1st floor floorboards and run it vertically internally and vent out the roof.

Any other ideas? :D

TO be clear I would remove everything that is external now that is above the crappy black drawing in paint in the above picture - to allow for the window at the end of the landing. It would then go inside, vertically and out the roof to vent. Is it ok to have a horizontal run in the main soil stack?

Last edited:

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
1, Keep the window as is, connect into the current stack with a new T inside the conservatory and remove the existing T and vent through the roof as it currently is.

2, Joists look favourable so run under the floor boards internally and exit below the current toilet waste and use the majority of the existing external pipework.

3, Rotate the toilet 90° so it's on the external wall and exit straight out the back of it, looks like that option may be very tight on the roof line.

4, Run the soil the length of the bathroom floor and exit on the perpendicular wall below the shower if you have soil access that side of the house.

Associate
Is a macerator not an option? The pipe can be run out in 32mm and branched into the stack above the conservatory roof? They can be noisy tho which is a downside.

Soldato
OP
Durgo vent?
no need to vent out side (in most cases)
I could, but I still think I'd have to do everything else the same, I would just have to the soil pipe terminate in the loft with an AAV, I might as well just vent it out the roof.

1, Keep the window as is, connect into the current stack with a new T inside the conservatory and remove the existing T and vent through the roof as it currently is.

2, Joists look favourable so run under the floor boards internally and exit below the current toilet waste and use the majority of the existing external pipework.

3, Rotate the toilet 90° so it's on the external wall and exit straight out the back of it, looks like that option may be very tight on the roof line.

4, Run the soil the length of the bathroom floor and exit on the perpendicular wall below the shower if you have soil access that side of the house.
Yeah we plan for the toilet to go out the wall, that drawing I did a long time ago. Joists run 'left to right' as you look at the plan drawings.

The thing is as well... long term we want to do an extension out the back. On the ground floor across the whole width of the house (demolishing the conservatory), and upstairs just on the side that isn't attached to our neighbours. So I'd like the landing to effectively keep going into the extension, so that window will probably be gone to continue the landing. The soil pipe will have to be moved at this time anyway. And it'll be much easier after the conservatory is demolished. Tricky tricky.

Is a macerator not an option? The pipe can be run out in 32mm and branched into the stack above the conservatory roof? They can be noisy tho which is a downside.
It's an option, but everything I've heard about them is 'avoid avoid avoid'. So I'd rather try to work with gravity as best I can.

Soldato
I'd leave the vent where it is, but remove the branch to the old toilet location (probably easiest just to cap it and keep is as an access port).

Soil pipe exit directly out exterior wall into the conservatory and branch across (as you've shown).

Good excuse to replace the wallpaper too. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd leave the vent where it is, but remove the branch to the old toilet location (probably easiest just to cap it and keep is as an access port).

Soil pipe exit directly out exterior wall into the conservatory and branch across (as you've shown).

Good excuse to replace the wallpaper too. :p
This is an option but means leaving the window at the end of the landing jammed on the left... will just look weird.

I hate conservatories!

Last edited:
Associate
It's an option, but everything I've heard about them is 'avoid avoid avoid'. So I'd rather try to work with gravity as best I can.

If you get a decent one and they are installed correctly. They are ok. Problems happen when people run the waste outlets in 21mm overflow pipe and they block. I wouldn’t rule one out completely at this point.

Soldato
OP
Have you had a quote for moving the window?
No, it depends what I'm doing with the pipe :D Like you said I can just branch and leave the pipe where it is, and not move the window.

Or if I bring the pipe inside and vent it out the ceiling then I can move the window. Need to make my mind up first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom