Adding a gpu.

Associate
Hi guys, I'm having a hard time seeing how to add a gpu to my brother's current build.

fEnNBbq.jpeg
The metal won't slot out and I'm unsure which cable to use, the gpu has an 8 pin slot.
Thanks

Can't tell if there are any spare cables coming from that psu? If not then you will either need a new psu, or to get a gpu which gets all its power from the slot.

Seems to be labelled as 550W, is that right?

What model gpu are you fitting?

The metal pcie slot covers can be a bit of a pain to get out sometimes. If there are no screws holding then on then they will be single-use and you'll have to try to bend them off (if you can then bend back and forth until the metal joint fatigues and snaps rather than trying to pull off directly). You may be able to get leverage by poking a screwdriver into some of the holes in the slot covers.
It's a MSI Radeon 570 Rx, it is a 550w, there seems to be something directly across from the PSU that has all the other parts plugged in. There aren't spare cables that I can see.

As above - you're best of using a flat head screwdriver in the slots (yellow) in the slot covers (pink), and then bending it up and down, eventually the ends of the metal will snap off - these type of covers can't be replaced.

The cable highlighted in green tucked away may be a PCI-E power cable either 6 pin/6+2/or 8 pin. If it isn't a 6+2 or 8 pin, then the best option would be to buy a new power suppl
Care to suggest a PSU? It's a MSI Radeon 570 Rx he has bought, there's a couple of fans that he didn't even know he had.

Back
Top Bottom