Adding wastes to existing soil pipe

Soldato
Hello,

I'm looking to start refitting our ensuite soon so have started checking out what pipework already exists.

The soil pipe currently comes up from the ground in an offset downstairs room, turns horizontally to come under the floor of the ensuite (pictured, looking up through the ceiling), then up again to elbows off to the toilet and up and out the roof.

On the horizontally set branch, there's a single waste, which (top-right edge of the shot) tees off to serve both the existing basin and bath. The inlet on the other side is blanked off and, I think, blocked by the joist.

SVexkwqh.jpg

The new design will have a basin, bath, and separate shower, so ideally I need 3 wastes running in to the soil pipe. Could I use something like https://www.tradepipes.co.uk/110mm-double-waste-adaptor-40mm40mm in place of the existing end cap (first example I could find) to give new basin and shower wastes, using the existing one for the bath, or is there a better way to go about this?

Permabanned
Sure. Bear in mind that the inside of the pipe will be fouled up and may be difficult to clean for a welded joint. I would have a plan B just in case there is a problem.

Soldato
OP
Sure. Bear in mind that the inside of the pipe will be fouled up and may be difficult to clean for a welded joint. I would have a plan B just in case there is a problem.

What's plan B for this? :D I can only follow so far down the stack before it's boxed in behind kitchen cupboards. Am I right that current set up is elbow->boss push fit and boss->endcap solvent welded?

Remove that section of pipe and replace with new pipe boss joints.

Three of, considering I can only use one side, one after the next?

Thank you both for your help. Our last house was Victorian so I didn't need to get grey water in to the soil pipe!

Soldato
Three of, considering I can only use one side, one after the next?

Yes if you need to, you can also get short ones with 3 points on them which you could potentially use 2 sides.

If you have access to the main stack you could use a waste manifold instead, these typically have 4 waste entries. https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast...VQtPtCh2nGgOPEAQYDSABEgImYfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can also get pipe boss attachments which you can add to any bit of straight pipe, you drill a hole in the pipe and strap it round if you needed to.

Soldato
OP
I had originally planned to use a manifold, but space in the void, particularly for getting the turn in to the toilet, means I don't have much vertical pipe access.

I'll try and get the floor up this weekend and see what space I have to get a run of bosses in.

Soldato
OP
Managed to get a section of floor up - horrible stuff! Anyway, there's not as much space in there as I thought. Definitely no space for a manifold, so whatever I do needs to be done on that horizontal run toward the centre of the room. Annoyingly, it sits quite high.

58Mp2eQh.jpg

58Mp2eQh.jpg

The end cap visible is the one seen in the photo below. I need to keep or replace that with another branch to keep the continuation of the toilet stack. The tee'd piece is the current basin and bath, but will be a bath and separate shower so ideally, as best I know, need their own runs in to the soil stack. The basin will be on the other side of the joist blocking the opposite side of the branch, but I might take a bit more ceiling down and see if I can get at it from that side, although the joist already looks like it has a notch to clear that pipe swooping left to right to right that feeds the toilet. Assuming I can get to both sides of the branch, I just need to get one more waste in.

I'm not worried about the location of the copper pipework, that is all moving anyway, so I should get a bit more space, and hopefully a boss will fit on the end.

Any more words of advice now a bit more is revealed.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom