Admiral "Plug and Drive" promotion.

Soldato
So Admiral seem to be running this exclusive promotion "Plug and Drive", where essentially you plug-in a telematics box for 3 months, then send it back for an assessment on your driving.

Now they claim that 80% of their customers that have used the promotion have received a discount. But what they fail to mention is how much the discount is.

Has anyone on here been on this promo and what sort of discount did you receive?

I'm still in two minds about whether to signup for it. On one hand anything that can lower a premium is a good thing, but on the other hand, if the discount is fairly measly say 5% which for me works out to be £30, then that's a lot of faff for such a small discount.

Soldato
OP
So you have to drive like you're on your test for 3 months?! What if the box determines you've broken the speed limit a few times? its easy to creep over a bit. Would your premium then rise the following year?

They aren't doing it because they want to save you money!

From what i've read some insurance companies actually dish out fines, even if they've not been captured in an "official capacity" - i.e. police etc.

Although the box would use GPS, so i know on my car a little over 75 works out to be around 70mph when measured by GPS. So creeping over a bit shouldn't be that hard to control.

Just read a post over on MSE, and someone there has a premium slightly less than mine, and after achieving "Silver" status, only got £26 discount, which worked out to be around 4.5%.

Soldato
OP
Does it mention anywhere that there are charges for changing information on your policy?

If there are and it is a 5% discount I can imagine seeing that £30 you just saved being used to pay their "admin charges".

You mean in terms of updating the policy to mention telematics installed?

When i skimmed through the T&C's, i didn't see a mention of any charges - only if the unit doesn't get returned, or returned damaged.

There's not a lot of info around really as it's swamped with the telematics policies for first time drivers where they're normally installed for the entire year. And the way theirs works is by refunding part of your policy every so often if your driving standard is good.

As i'm not a first time driver, this is a slightly different scheme, as i'm 6 months into a 10 month policy, they assess 3 months and then determine what sort of discount you can get on your renewal - on top of your NCB i'd assume.

Back
Top Bottom