Admiral reckon any non-factory part on my car is a modification

Soldato
And from my call I had with them, they confirmed the following would all have to be declared:
  • Windscreen wipers
  • Bulbs - i.e. your factory fitted bulb breaks and you replace it with one from Amazon
  • Floor mats
If I were to have windscreen wipers replaced with OEM Ford ones at a Ford garage, it would be okay, but doing them yourself with Bosch ones is a no no.

Obviously, this doesn't seem right to me, so I asked him to double confirm, and he came back and said if I don't declare them, my policy would be void. Yet, I didn't have to declare any audio equipment, as long as it's under 1250, or 15% value of the car (whichever is lower).

Apparently they're considered as a decorative modification :confused:

Soldato
OP
As above, sounds like you might have been speaking to someone who's new to the role and they're going completely by the book/script.

I would be absolutely amazed if the insurance ombudsman sided with an insurance company because you failed to declare that you didn't have OEM wipers on.

I agree, but asked him to double check with his manager. Then again, he could have done the whole "let me put you on hold while you think I'm speaking to my manager" :p

Back
Top Bottom