ADSL Vs. MPLS

Associate
Hello

Currently we have a central office where all servers are kept. We also have multiple remote offices - just over 1000 users. Each remote offices connects into the central office using an ADSL connection (up to 8mb). As you can probably understand ADSL is not the best solution, so I am therefore trying to push for MPLS. I fully appreciate there is a higher cost involved but there comes a time in life where certain areas need to be upgraded.

Coming from a techie background I understand why MPLS will benefit the company however trying to explain this to the management board is proving tricky. I've given good strong examples and put them into NON-TECHIE terms but I feel I am losing!

Have any of you been in similar situations? What good key words (or sentences) can I use that will make the management board change their mind? We can NO longer just plod along, it's causing too much grief when carrying out trouble shooting or performing day to day tasks.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
As JBod says, even with MPLS you could end up using ADSL lines. My last place has just 'replaced' a load of site-to-site VPNs (over ADSL) with an MPLS system running over new ADSL lines.

Associate
OP
Sorry for getting confused. I know MPLS operates at a much more efficient level that's why I am trying to push for it. The ADSL connections we have in the UAE aren't the most stable in the world.

Man of Honour
Sorry for getting confused. I know MPLS operates at a much more efficient level that's why I am trying to push for it. The ADSL connections we have in the UAE aren't the most stable in the world.

If its a reliability issue and you're dropping packets etc then MPLS won't help. You'll need to fix the underlying issues on the physical layer.

Last edited:
Soldato

Again it isn't anything to do with efficiency. It sounds like you are gunning for perhaps SDSL, a leased line or your own fibre.

Associate
As everyone's already mentioned MPLS won't make any difference. There is efficiency to it but this will just be from a routing perspective as your CPE equipment won't have to NAT to reach other sites and vice versa and it's more efficient on the providers core but if you DSL connections are flakey then they will remain just as flakey on MPLS.

Back
Top Bottom