ADSL with BT = 88 Kbps

Soldato
Awesome.. not sure what's going on but since December my line speed has nose dived. I live on the moor, but I used to get upto 1.3Mbps but now it's stupidly slow and the official bt test is showing as 88Kbps. Not happy.

Have contacted BT and awaiting a reply. All I know is that is NOT acceptable for the amount of money I pay. Hopefully it's just a BRAS profile thing at work.. as I'm actually connected at 1056Kbps... so hopefully it will get sorted. (nothing's running in the background btw).

Not sure if it's worth noting, but this has actually only happened since my 18 month contract with BT expired.. and I'm a free agent as such, I just haven't switched to anyone else lol. I wonder if it's linked?

Soldato
OP
BT contacted me after I emailed them. They have apparently increased the profile, and should now wait 11 days for it to 'stablise'. First impressions.... still stupdendously slow, and getting 80-130Kbps, so unless it connects, then continually reconnects to try and force my rate higher.... something is very wrong :(

Soldato
OP
It is quite far from the exchange. bear in mind my neighbour who is two doors up in a terraced house in a village, uses exactly the same line as me (apart from, from the house to the post)... and he get's about 1.3MBps.

Also.. when I got one of those little boxes that helped remove the bell wire/interference on the phone line from BT.. I was getting about 1.3Mbps as well.. but it dropped down to about 350Kbps a few months later oddly. It might be that I need a new main terminal to master socket wiring.. as it's very very old.

I would point out that without a BT signal improver (or whatever the hell they are called), I get a very poor internet connection that keeps dropping out. It's very stable with the box of tricks.

EDIT: This is my exhange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWSHAU (Shaugh Prior), but I am not in that village I'm a few miles away.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
lol.. impressive cats if so!!! ;) Bit excessive to be mailing the CEO just yet ;)

I'm not in my contract, I'm out of it. A random phone call last night offering me £3 a month discount if I signed up for 12 months to broadband again is appealing, but I might be moving abroad, so won't be doing that lol.

They guy did mention about having an engineer come out.. but I suspect that will end in a nice fee being paid to BT for some work, which is cack given I rent the place :( (From my sister so I won't be charging her for it).

Soldato
OP
I did temporarily replace about a 1.5 metre wire from the master intake to the master socket as the dog ripped it off the wall, but it has been fine. So to replace that cable I would be liable for the engineer's fee's even though it's fine? (yeah I know the deal of not touching it, but I couldn't call out or use the net without it about 8 months ago.)

Literally just the cable btw, as the wolf chewed the cable to shreds.

Soldato
OP
OK update. This evening, I have been connected for 2 days.. and speed is upto 700 Kbps. Serious improvement over the previous 88 Kbps ! Definately right to contact BT :) Hopefully it will improve further.

Back
Top Bottom