Advantages of a small firm?

Soldato
What should be some perks or advantages of working for a small company? Currently, compared to working for a larger company doing exactly the same role I'm sacrificing salary, holidays, free time, pension etc. and not by a small amount.

I see it said often that people prefer working for a smaller company and I'd like to ask why?

I'm just wondering how long I give it- the boss has been good to me and gave me an opportunity to build up my skills, he's a family friend and I'm grateful, but I'm not young enough to just stay with him for the foreseeable based on loyalty alone. I'm 40 this year and don't own a home or have any worthwhile pension or much else to talk about, my job is 50% physical so there is no way I can bank on doing this right up to what is likely to be 70 by the time I retire, so I've got to get my arse in gear.

I had in mind maybe giving him another couple of years, the problem is he only seems to employee either personal friends or family of friends etc and he's ran out of options. The last guy that left was never replaced and the other two of us have had to pick up the work load, I don't want to drop him in it because I think if I left he'd be right in the ****, not because I'm indispensable but because there'd just be too much work for them to do until he managed to find a replacement willing to work under the same circumstances, if he found anyone at all.

Soldato
OP
Depends on the firm to some extent but surely if you're already working at a small firm you're already aware of the benefits/drawbacks of your position?

I mean people could give answers like you can get involved in more areas etc.. rather than being siloed, you can perhaps have responsibility for things that would require a lot more experience/seniority in a larger firm. But you already know whether or not these things apply to your situation.

Sorry wasn't very clear, I meant what benefits should I be seeing by working at a small firm as whatever they generally seem to be when other people mention them, I'm not sure I see any.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you need an honest sit down with him and outline everything youve said in your post. He might be a family friend but as they say, there are no friends in business.

If theres just the two of you, I assume you might have a good idea of the money the company is bringing in, if so, do you think youre being fairly paid? If the money just isnt there, then im afraid its time to move on.

Hard to gauge the money coming in because I don't really know what he charges, he keeps lots to himself and TBH us other two know very little. If I base it on his lifestyle I'd say they do pretty well, his Mrs packed in her managerial job to stay at home do some accounts and kids stuff, both kids go to public school with decent fees, nice house, nice car, expensive holidays, owns a horse for one of the kids, just bought the other kid a car etc...

I earn a decent amount less than the going rate for my job, just from looking around at vacancies it seems to average 5-7k P/A less. I'm massively out of pocket with holidays as I just get the statutory minimum whilst other firms are offering considerably more, whilst I also work considerably more hours as most other firms pay door-to-door where as I get deducted the first and last hour of travelling, so for my 8 hours I do 10 etc.

He's an ok guy but he's not very good at talking about employment issues and takes things to heart and too personally all too easily.

Basically he started out on his own and managed everything himself and was ok with that, I think over the years since he's taken on more work and had to employ a few people he's not as well cut out for that as just organising himself, there is a fair amount of winging it goes on.

The only plus side I can see is that I'm fairly self sufficient and almost my own boss, we don't have a depot or office and I am based from home and mostly work alone which suits me perfectly, I talk to him over the phone most days and see him on occasion but apart from that I organise my self.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure why your boss only employees friends and family members, I can't think of anything worse.

I put it down to him thinking friends are more likely to put up with less than ideal working conditions, the few times he has employed someone out of this circle has been a disaster for him.

Soldato
OP
I'm at least going to wait until this Brexit farce is over, or at least we know for sure what is happening. I had two more years in mind as I'd like a bit more experience before moving on as his overall view on training is "just get on with it and figure it out" rather than actual manufacturer run courses.

He certainly plays on people being generous with how accommodating they are RE: working practices, in the 5 years I've worked for him I've never once used up my full 20 day holiday allocation because it's never convenient, plus I've not had more than a week off in one go for the same reasons. It would be nice to have a fortnights holiday without feeling guilty after the 3rd day, I've even cut holidays short for him when he's texted me if I can come in.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the interesting replies, considering these are all probably vastly different fields I see lots of points that echo my own experience, especially regarding holidays and training etc.

There is no promotion available in my role as there is nowhere upwards to go (that would be the same regardless of a small or large firm) so that aspect of things doesn't bother me at all, all I will gain is more knowledge and potentially training which one would hope would command a higher salary.

I'm fairly confident I will have to jump ship at some point, it's just plucking up the courage to do it.

Back
Top Bottom