Advice about publishing an app

Associate
I've developed an app and ready to publish it but wondered do I need to write a software license for the app to cover usage, responsibilities and liabilities? Read around and not found a definitive answer. Some state the default license by Google or Apple is sufficient if the app doesn't gather user data and store it on a server (mine doesn't require any special features and does not gather/use user data). Others state writing a license is a good idea but is difficult to write a license that is applicable all over the world.

Would appreciate advice from anyone who has published an app such as did you write a software license or rely on the App store's 3rd party distribution license, for example?

Many thanks.

Soldato
Unfortunately the laws differ so much country to country that it's impossible to write a universal disclaimer/T&Cs. Even translating a legal document is a bitch.

Afaik the App Store T&Cs pretty much absolve Apple of 99.9% and pass it onto the devs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There are basically 2 possible actions.
1) ignore and use apple/google default.
2) hire a software lawyer to write a bepoke license agreement that meets your needs.

2) is expensive and gives marginal benefit over 1. Nothing else really make sense.

Back
Top Bottom