Advice appreciated for long overdue upgrade please!

Associate
Hi everyone,

I have recently built a new PC (with help from the lovely people on this forum!). To save a few quid I didnt upgrade my monitor at the same time but now the time has come.

The monitor I have is the one I bought many years ago (2011!) when I built my first PC. Obviously that's going to be pretty dated now as it is an old 24", 50/60hz model (BenQ GL2450-B to be precise) and technology will have moved on.

My PC use is primarily games and some art, but games are the focus.
I've been considering 27" size and 1440 rather than full 4K. Although the PC will no doubt be fine with 4K I tend to think it's unnecessary at this sort of monitor size and I'm not even sure more than 1080P is needed to be honest. So I think my priority is more around refresh rates and nice colours with less of that narroe viewing angle business that was so common back when I bought this old thing.

I can't make out which technology is best but perhaps the "fast"(?) IPS is the way to go?

So, I know this is a bit vague but does anyone have any advice for me? Presumably even with a 4k or 1440p monitor I could still play at 1080p if wanted without adverse affects?

Any help is very welcome because I cant really see much between them all at the moment! I have no idea if some makes are better than others or if there are some to be avoided for example.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
There are mini-led screens with decent HDR support in that price range, do you have any panel preferences?

I'm not keen on VA vs IPS but some people tend to prefer them.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £299.00 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Reviews:

When I bought my old monitor I think there was only TN or IPS with IPS looking nicer and having better viewing angles but bad response rate, and TN having the decent response rate but worse colours and narrow viewing angle.
I had heard that IPS were now faster so assumed that would be the way to go, so I dont know much about these other types.

I suspect anything will appear as an improvement on such an old screen but am hoping for nice bright colours and fast refresh rate....not sure what else could matter to be honest!!

Worth a read:

The above monitor also has FALD (full array local dimming) which there's an explanation for here:

HDR is becoming more and more prominent in gaming, a lot of monitors claim to support it but in reality don't. The above linked monitor does quite well with it, but you might not be overly fussed yourself, worth reading up on either way.
Thanks for those links. I had a read.

So from that I get that IPS is better for colour, brightness, viewing angles and response times (which surprised me because I was sure TN monitors (which are now called VA???) had the response times vs IPS colours,,,
VA is better for contrast.

Then HDR improves colours and contrast!!

So I think that means IPS, with HRD, must be the ulitmate monitor!! Because it reduces the contrast shortfall.

Do you agree?

There's also this reduced to £299:

Thanks for your comments. I was just watching a youtube vid (monitors unboxed) that recommended a VA because it had HDR on a cheap price but Im not so sure. Is VA what used to be called TN??

Im tempted by the LG, although that one looks to have quite a large space needed for its feet and I dont really have that space! Cooler Master and similar arent monitor/tv brands specifically so I feel like they wont be as good, although that may be baseless..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom