Advice - Buying a gaming laptop

Associate
Good evening all,

Its the run up to Christmas and i get to treat myself.

Im looking for a new laptop, currently i have a MSIGE60 2PL (15INCH). Its a little old, had a few bluescreens on me in the last few months, but currently handles everything in my steam library, no big new titles for a while but did me through Crysis, Duex Ex, dishonored, Half Life 2, Metro all good.

Im gonna be in the US in early Jan then the UK in mid Jan but would prefer to buy in the US as i work near there most of the year.

Im looking for a laptop
  • 15 inch screen
  • Average battery life (but will pretty much always be used plugged in on a table/desk/surface)
  • Light/thin (i travel a lot in live in very small cabins on ships, current laptop size/weight would be upper limit, 38.3cmsX24.9cmsX3.7cms 2.4kgs)
  • Major uses, gaming and editing drone footage (not 4k)
  • Average HD/SSD (I use 2 externals for constant backup and just keep regular used files on the laptop + steam library)
  • Budget - UP TO $2k USD / $1500GBP if i had to, $1.5k preferred.

I was initially set on a MSI Stealth for around $2k, but saw some very good priced PS63 Modern that seemed very light and good battery life for just over $1k. Ive also seen a lot of good reviews of the ACER Predator Helios for around $1k too. Is the stealth really worth the extra? I dont do a lot of online stuff due to poor net connection so no competitive online gaming, no need to for extra macro keys, backlit keyboards etc.

Seems there is actually a good selection out there these days! Any help in narrowing it down appreciated!

Associate
I've been looking for a laptop in that price range and the gigabyte aero and MSI stealth are my two current top choices mostly because they dont have flashy glowing rgb everywhere so I can also use them at the office. If that doesn't bother you the Helios is a good choice

Also remember US keyboard layout is different took me a while to get used to

Associate
OP
Looking via Best buy

I can get the MSi GP65 with 16gb RAM and 6 Gb gfx (GTX1660) card for 1300USD
Pretty much the smae device via ACER Helios 300 1100USD
but if i drop the GFX to 4GB (GTX1050) i can get the MSI PS63 which is 1330USD but half the weight and much better battery life!

Comparing GFX benchmarks seems the 1660 is miles ahead of the 1050 though!

Found this site, i can get a GF65, Upgrade to 16Gb RAM, 2 SSD HDs, GTX 1660 less than $1k USD!
https://xoticpc.com/collections/msi-laptops/products/msi-gf65-thin-9sd-008

Back
Top Bottom