Advice for Video Editing PC Build- UK BASED

Associate
Hey,

I'm looking to build a PC for the first time, I've mainly turned to macs before but like the custom build idea now and I'm much more used to windows now in my job.

I've done a ton of research and kind of know about it alittle, but would like suggestions to parts/ if my currently part list sounds okay? I've been using PC part picker so far.

I'm looking to build mainly for video editing as work in tv & film post production in tech. I'd likely be running resolve mainly as just use avid on my work computer, this is more for personal projects. I know resolve loves to use GPU to optimise the render and Processing speeds.

Kind of specs I'm looking for:
  • 10-16 core processor
  • 12-16gb ram with a fast enough Mhz
  • minimum 1tb of storage (I have a lot of external Hdd & SSD's too)
  • Not sure if 32gb of ram would seem about right?
  • motherboard thats not crazy big, a good price and fits my above specs. 2-4x 3.0/3.2 usb ports for my drives, a usb is ideal but not essential.
  • Not as much sure on CPU coolers? I've read up on fan vs liquid and it seems like liquid for AMD more and fan for intel? Just not crazy expensive and good enough to keep it cool for rending
  • Case- ideally I'd like fairly smaller but still decent airflow, the ports the same sort of consideration as the motherboard mentions.
  • Not fussed on PSU, jusyt efficient enough and first tiem build friendly.
Requirements of those specs:
  • Around £1250 max but willing be go up to £1500 tops
  • I dont want crazy loud Dbs from the build as can sometimes struggle with noises from my autism
  • speed quality on a budget>over case size though
  • Not a crazy fiddly build as it'll be my first one, but I learn tech very easily and have always built things, taken apart things and used tools.

Heres a couple of my first 2 different drafts of trying to learn:

Draft A:
https://uk.************.com/list/VvGp7R

Draft B:
https://uk.************.com/list/V6ZHPF

I'm super open, love learning and just appreciate any help/ feedback good or bad :)

Last edited:
AMD/Nvidia/MATX build:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,411.75 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

AMD/AMD/ATX, closer to preferred budget:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,319.88 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

So far as I know, AMD still performs pretty well for Davinci (versus nvidia), but you might want to check for any other apps you plan to use.

£400 (incl. VAT)
£350 (incl. VAT)
£270 (incl. VAT)
£165 (incl. VAT)
£160 (incl. VAT)
£100 (incl. VAT)
£315 (incl. VAT)
£290 (incl. VAT)
£120 (incl. VAT)
£104 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£135 (incl. VAT)
£100 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
Tetras is way better than I am
At build lists
So I won't bother lol
His look ok

May be worth getting 64gb of ram
Yeah you could add it later if required
But may as well do it all at same time
32gb will probably be OK
Really depends exactly what you do in resolve
Resolution etc
64gb would be more future proof

Other thing is new amd cpus are about to drop
May be worth waiting a couple of weeks
Unless you need it in a hurry?

Hey,

Thanks both for getting back to me. Yeah it's not needed crazy urgently as I can get by for now. I'm obviously new to this but would the new releases make that major of a difference for my build?

Tetras' -AMD/AMD/ATX build looks really good, in terms of upping the ram, what one would either of you suggest thats 32-64gb? I mean if I'm being honestly with it being my job anyway I'm very knowledge about reducing the strain on the gpu and cpu in terms of resolution, fps, render etc, its just the online stages where colour grading and vfx comes in that that extra will really show.

Can't really see 2 x 32gb that's as good value
Compared to what tetras picked
Ie it's £240 for 2 x 32gb
So would probably say get another kit of what
Tetras picked
Makes it £180 for 64gb then
Don't think should be an issue populating 4 slots
Since it's 64gb not 128gb
And not an excessively high speed

The new releases are rumoured to come in
At a lower price than their equivalent released last time
And possibly 15--20% uplift in performance
All that's still rumours of course
But their release will either be
A better buy
Or will have an effect on the 7xxx series price
Though with intels current woes
Amd could get cheeky and raise prices
Since no one in their right minds going to recommend intel 13th and 14th gen cpus
To anyone now

If you go for atx build and go basic b650 board, I'd getvthe b650 tuf gaming wifi for extra £10 over the b650-e board...labelling a b650-E is a crass marketing ploy in my view to confuse the buyer with s b650e board...that aside, compared to the gaming wifi you loose 2 usb connections on a i/o at the back, the lan line is 1gb rather than 2.5, and worst they cut the vrms by a third from 12 x 60a to 8 x 60a...not worth the £10 saving
If your video editing with large files though I'd go b650e board personally...pcie5 m.2 drives will drop in price, just like gen4 drives...and also increase in size...so at some point you'll upgrade, or want more space, and gaving the pcie5 capability will come in handy
The freezer 36 is a great cooler, and also in tests runs extremely quietly. A lot quieter than the peerless assassin, so good way to go if wanting a quiet system...could also look at the 216 case..the front fans intakes are bigger, so spin slower for the same airflow..so quieter
I would say aio are more for ibtel and air coolers for amd...and require less juice so are easier to cool than the intel furnaces
I'd also wait for 9000 series cpu's..9600x and 9700x know the 8th, so reviews the say before, the 9900x and 9950x a week later..at least we'll get sn idea of performance and price with the 1st release
Been awhile, but worth looking at rech notice youtube kids for with hpu is vest for video editing...he's tried smd but always ends up back with nvidia..more stable

Last edited:
what one would either of you suggest thats 32-64gb?
If you NEED 64GB then the speed is not that important, but ideally I'd aim for at least 5600. This is an Intel XMP kit rather than AMD EXPO, but available at a better price than many of the other kits:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £162.98 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Puget did some testing on RAM speed and content creation here:

You might want to look out for discounts on the 7900X3D too (if they make their way here), even if you don't do much gaming, since it lessens the CPUs sensitivity to memory speed and does still have advantages in some applications.

Newegg US is currently offering a new AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D CPU for just $278.57 US which is a huge -45% price drop on this high-end chip which is boosted by 3D V-Cache. You will not only get 3D V-Cache but the Zen 5 chip features 12 cores and 24 threads, giving you ample amount of CPU performance for multi-threaded tasks.

9000 cpus should be able to take much faster ram from accounts.. been tested up to 8000 speed....could make a difference, and you'll really need to wait for reviews on whether 64gb will work at fadter speeds

Back
Top Bottom