Advice going forward 4k HDR Panels vs TVs

Associate
Hi all

Im looking for some advice really regarding the future of my pc vs tvs etc etc. Currently running a Dell 1440p 144hz G-Sync panel with a 980ti.

Ive kept thinking that a graphics card upgrade will probably be next year. I think next June I would have had my card for 5 years. Its now struggling at 1440p in newer titles. Obviously a new card is going to cost, redicolous prices compared to what I paid for the 980ti 5 years ago. I think it's been pretty good value by the time I've had it 5 years.

I've been thinking recently about 4k. I've seen some really nice 4k HDR tvs. I wouldn't mind getting a 4k HDR player to go with and check out the quality of 4k HDR films.

Only issue then is you have the expense of the tv plus needing a new graphics card and Ive also been thinking of maybe not bothering with a new card and getting a ps5 when they come out next year.

I wouldn't mind some advice regarding 4k HDR monitors? I've had a quick look about online and there doesn't actually seem to many about. The ones that are, are massive money, if you want a 144hz 4k HDR g sync especially.

Will there be more coming to market and will the prices come down on them much do you think?

Soldato
Hi all

Im looking for some advice really regarding the future of my pc vs tvs etc etc. Currently running a Dell 1440p 144hz G-Sync panel with a 980ti.

Ive kept thinking that a graphics card upgrade will probably be next year. I think next June I would have had my card for 5 years. Its now struggling at 1440p in newer titles. Obviously a new card is going to cost, redicolous prices compared to what I paid for the 980ti 5 years ago. I think it's been pretty good value by the time I've had it 5 years.

I've been thinking recently about 4k. I've seen some really nice 4k HDR tvs. I wouldn't mind getting a 4k HDR player to go with and check out the quality of 4k HDR films.

Only issue then is you have the expense of the tv plus needing a new graphics card and Ive also been thinking of maybe not bothering with a new card and getting a ps5 when they come out next year.

I wouldn't mind some advice regarding 4k HDR monitors? I've had a quick look about online and there doesn't actually seem to many about. The ones that are, are massive money, if you want a 144hz 4k HDR g sync especially.

Will there be more coming to market and will the prices come down on them much do you think?

the short answer is that true HDR with reasonable cost is only possible on an OLED Panel, everything else is a compromise. I won't compromise so i am stuck with a OLED telly and a IPS monitor for now.

If you buy an LCD panel with HDR just keep this in mind, any display with LCD saying that it is HDR enabled is compromised in some way in either HDR picture quality or cost due to the number of required back-light dimming zones. The number of zones required is derived from a mathematical calculation which includes contrast ratio.

To give you an idea the prototype LCD HDR Sony panels shown at CES in 2016 had 1,200 local dimming zones this product never saw the light of day due to cost.

the new ASUS ProArt HDR display (PA32UCG) has, funnily enough, approximately the same (and mathematically correct) number of zones required for a LCD screen to drive HDR, with the price tag to match - approx £5k inc Vat for 32inches.

I have a 5700XT and a 2070Super, both are fine for 1440p and HDR at 60fps. If you want 90fps then i would look at a 2080ti (used).

Associate
OP
the short answer is that true HDR with reasonable cost is only possible on an OLED Panel, everything else is a compromise. I won't compromise so i am stuck with a OLED telly and a IPS monitor for now.

If you buy an LCD panel with HDR just keep this in mind, any display with LCD saying that it is HDR enabled is compromised in some way in either HDR picture quality or cost due to the number of required back-light dimming zones. The number of zones required is derived from a mathematical calculation which includes contrast ratio.

To give you an idea the prototype LCD HDR Sony panels shown at CES in 2016 had 1,200 local dimming zones this product never saw the light of day due to cost.

the new ASUS ProArt HDR display (PA32UCG) has, funnily enough, approximately the same (and mathematically correct) number of zones required for a LCD screen to drive HDR, with the price tag to match - approx £5k inc Vat for 32inches.

I have a 5700XT and a 2070Super, both are fine for 1440p and HDR at 60fps. If you want 90fps then i would look at a 2080ti (used).

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...ed-tv-with-google-assistant-10192247-pdt.html

I've actually had my eye on that. Any tips on buying a TV then? Only OLED with regards to HDR?

Soldato
How do they get away with advertising a TV as HDR then if its that far away from having 1200 lol.

Good question.

The more expensive lcd tellys have approx 500 zones. if not wanting to go OLED then one of these higher end lcd sets will be essential.

Soldato
What’s your budget? And what size of TV/ monitor do you want? Be aware that to my knowledge only the more high end TVs support 1440p. I have a Samsung 65Q85R and it can do 1440p@120hz. Looks great too!

4K gaming is perfectly feasible but you need a very powerful (and expensive) graphics card to push those pixels out.

Associate
How do they get away with advertising a TV as HDR then if its that far away from having 1200 lol.
The same way they got away with advertising screens as "HD Ready" when they were really 720p or SD that could accept a full HD connection and downscale. Nobody can take legal action because they will simply claim that the true specifications are there for all to see (if you look hard enough). The only way to fight back is to not buy one of those "fake" screens and instead purchase something that gives you the most for your money. Ignore HDR if it isn't good enough yet, for example.

Associate
OP
Well I've currently got a dell 1440p 144hz gsync monitor that I game on with no TV. My card is a 980ti and I was thinking about getting a new card next year. But for the prices of the gpus I was thinking of maybe going for a ps5

I really fancy 4k for films etc. I've looked at the monitors but the prices look massive. So it could maybe be a new tv and go ps5 but this would probably be next year.

I was just wondering how the advancements with monitors would be progressing regarding 4k and hdr. Funnily enough I've just seen someone's post regarding LG putting gsync into OLED screens. Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom