Advice needed: Dell XPS

Associate
I need to replace my laptop and I am having a bit of a trouble deciding on which route to take.

I was considering buying a 2017 MPB 15" (Quad core i7, 16gb Ram, 512SSD) but i am hesitant about the £2699 price tag. The reason that I was using to justify this was, my brother has a 15" MBP which he paid around £2000 for and it has been running for four or five years now and it is still going strong.

I was looking at purchasing the MPB now and then in a couple of months purchasing a 34" ultra wide monitor.

I keep however coming back to the idea of a dell xps 15 9560 (i7, 512gb, 16gb ram), aty about a £1000 pounds cheaper i could buy the monitor at the same time.

I have read the Dell XPS thread on here and it seems that some people have been having issues with them which is making me a bit reserved.

My questions are:
  • Is the 4K screen worth the extra money?
  • I can't get 32Gb Ram unless i select the 4K screen, are the ram sticks 2x8? how feasible would this be upgradable to 32gb later?
  • Would the dell happily drive this monitor?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...escreen-super-wide-led-monitor-mo-146-lg.html
  • I would like to to be able to use a single USB-C to connect the laptop to the monitor and power the laptop, would this work?
  • Would i be able to plug a keyboard and mouse into the monitor? to save having the cables from the laptop? (Apologies if this is a stupid question)
A bit of information about the usage:
  • Occasional light gaming nothing intense at all
  • No Photo editing or Video Editing
  • The laptop will need to run a couple of VMs with various Linux/Windows builds on it. (not all at once)
Many Thanks in advance

Just as a late reply to this, the XPS 9560 takes a lot of power, especially in 4k version.

It's actually more power than the USB-C spec allows, so no charging monitor will be able to charge the laptop properly.

The best solution is the Dell dock, which is annoyingly expensive for what it is, but does allow for 1 cable connection for your laptop.

Back
Top Bottom