Advice needed on a cooler Aria case.

Associate
Ok hoping someone can advise, i just puirchased an Antec Aria case and will be fitting an Epox Matx mobo skt A. I've got a spare Coolermaster aero 7 - which i'm dounbting is going to fit. Can anyone recommend a cooler. Needs to support an xp3000, was looking at one of the old arctic cooler jobbies.

Any advice would be appriciated.

H

Associate
OP
the mobo doesnt.... any idea on what the spacing is i maybe able to make at least 2 fixing points. ATM i have butchered my aero 7 and put a stock a64 3500 cooler fan on it. works ok with temps of 30 degrees non load but windoze ain ton yet

H.

Associate
OP
thanks for the advice, will see how we go. The rig itself will be a 24/7 box so noise levels are gonna be low and with low noise means higher teamps so we'll see if i can get an even balance between performance, heat and noise.

H

Associate
OP
p4radox said:
The best cooler for an Aria is a Zalman CNPS7000b copper. It will fit socket A as long as the mobo has the 4 mounting holes around it. Does the Epox mobo have these?

right i have checked my mobo and the zlaman site says Clip must be cut of for it to fit. what do they mean clips? I'm going to also have to get inside the case cuz whne i'm installing windows i get a BSOD error on setup of xp so i'm thinking somethings not right.

Associate
OP
i just stripped my pc down again and it doesnt have the mounting holes that the website suggests.... so i think i'm going to plum for the artic cooling.

But i finally got it up and running with an aero 7 heat sink and a coolermaster 80mm spare case fan i had. not silent but its doing ok atm. Hoping to get some good temos. about 35 degree load sound right?

H

Associate
OP
right the fan i placed on the cooler is resonating too much. It seems that its cooling fine (will get accurate temps) but was thinking, could i actually stick the fan tot he edges of the cooler with silicone to allow for free movement?

Also how good are vantec/silentx fans - could i expect anything quieter than an arctic cooling jobby?

H

Associate
OP
p4radox said:
Which arctic cooling model are you referring to? I once had the Copper Silent 2L and it was silent on low speed mode. Are you sure the Arctic will fit?

I can only get the sl2 (the one with the fan mounted aboube the heatsink). I'll measure up later tonight if i can find dimensions on their website.

H

Associate
OP
p4radox said:
I can't find anything about the "sl2" anywhere, and I've never heard of it. :confused: Have a look on Arctic Cooling's website for the dimensions.

It can't be more than 63mm high or it probably won't fit in.

its this 1.
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=2&data=2&disc=

also discovered an annoyance. when i shut down windoze, it hangs at the shutting down screen, i have to manually urn it off :O. Will trawl interweb for answers if not rebuild it.

H

Associate
OP
I've found a cheaper solution for now.... I'm going to buy a fan mate and just turn down the 80mm fan i'm using just enough to reduce the noise of it. I've checked the temps and at load i'm looking at about 50 degrees (not an issue as its just a download box).

One things i've been thinking baout, is it worth removing the grill from the back of the case to improve air output? Or would i not notice that much of an improvement.

H

Associate
OP
Nice one. Gonna have a chat with a friend of mine think he may have a pilar drill failing that i think i got a bench clamp i can use. I was thinking, should i mount an 80mm fan next to the cpu and one the other side.

You mentioned back up that u drilled extra holes in ** psu case.... I'm not too worried about the warrenty more concerned with keeping the box cool and quiet. Did you dismantle the plates first what size drill bitdid you use AND how many should i do?

H

Associate
OP
What if i did something liek this??

psu9ek7px.jpg

Associate
OP
Ok psu will be sorted in a few days. Gonna borrow me mates dremel and cut an oval in the back plate tidy it up a touch as well.

Noe for the side fan/fans. a 120mm fan would be ideal on just the one side pushing cool air from the cold side of the case to the cpu side.

I'm guessing i'm going to need a core cutter of some sorts, anyone recommend a brand and what size - or an alternative method.

H

Associate
OP
how do i 7volt mod a fan???

H

You know sometimes i insult my own intelligence. A quick google and i get the idea. push 5 volts back onto the 12v 12- 5 = 7 volts... duh.. lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom