Advice needed urgently..

Permabanned
Not too sure what heading this should go under, advice would be appreciated.

3 weeks ago I sold a system in the local free ads, 2500XP Barton, AN7 motherboard, 1 gig ram, Geforce 2, DVDRW, DVD, 200 gig SATA, 425W PSU, 17" Sony TFT and 2.1 speakers £400.

This morning I get a rather rude awakening and the man I sold the PC to is on my door step looking none too pleased. Apparantly he has been trying to get hold of my for a fortnight and as he lives 25 miles from me he has been trying twice a week and this is his fourth attempt, now successful. I actually lost my mobile phone so he had been calling an unobtainable number for the past fortnight. According to him the PC 'went bang' after a week, spewing smoke out of the PSU and apparantly killing the PSU, Board, Chip, both DVD drives in the process. He went to a local supplier and bought a new motherboard/chip/PSU for £150 and wants me to cough up at least half.

Here is the thing, he threw away the blown components (even though they were still under warranty from where I got them from), now I a moral dilemma as to whether I should do anything as it happened after a week, legally it is sold as seen. None of the components were old, everthing was within 6 months from new and working fine when it was sold. He seems genuine, has a receipt, has offered for me to come to his house and 'see' the amalgamation of my old components and his new ones. Is it possible that the PSU could have done this? it was made by Hiper and was new 4 months ago. The rails were split equally AFAIR. Suggestions if you please folks?

well psu's are known to go bang at any time....

However

As you say its sold as seen and why should you be expected to fork out for new parts? How do you know he wasnt trying to upgrade it and after doing so the psu went bang....

You should refuse to pay because a) he never kept the blown up parts b) he proceeded to get replacement parts without consulting you and now expects you to pay half the costs for him replacing the parts....

At the end of the day you cannot be 100% certain what happened but IMO he was wrong to replace the parts without consulting you....Although he knocked at your door before why didnt he leave a note etc?

Its like saying when you sell a car it works fine for a week then breaks down, so why should the seller be responsible for meeting half the costs incurred for putting it right.....It was sold as seen and there is no way you can determine when a PSU may blow.....he can get that verified by anyone who knows anything about pc's

Even morally you cannot be 100% why or how it happened so why should you pay....

tell him to take a walk and have a word with himself.

he could have been doing anything, and as stated above, psu' s are hardly failsafe. If he was genuine he would have kept the knackered parts and he wouldn't be behaving like a child.

basically this guy is a plonker.

edit: he claims to have kept them, i reckon he's banking on you coughing up, i would go for a look at the parts, that should make him panic. if not, tell him to bring the parts back so you can have a peek, then say 'hmph, you've been messing about mate' and kick him out.

Last edited:
:mad: You shouldnt have to pay him anything the psu blowing up couldnt be fortold it was just his bad luck. He should have complained to the psu company and not to you since you arnt the one who made the psu! I cant believe he expects you to cough up for half of what he has gone off and bought without consulting you! honestly just inform him nicely that he should bring the issue up with the PSU company.

Id tell him to "smoke my fat one" aswell. If the reverse happened to me id be annoyed but what can he really do, other than perhaps thrash you to within an inch of your life.

Id take the beating, £75 is worth it lol

No seriously I wouldnt pay its unlucky and bad timing these things happen and if he had half a brain he'd have kept the bits as evidence and to try and RMA them under warrenty (if it covers blowing up?)

Thanks for your advice. I am an honest man and although it is sold as seen it is unfortunate for the buyer. His wife was crying down the phone, apparantly she borrowed the money to buy the computer and is now seriously out of pocket. She has it up and running but has an old CD-Rom unit in there, I agreed as a good will gesture to get her a DVDRW, these are only £15 second hand from a local shop (pioneer 107's), she seems happy with that. Thanks again.

The reason I am willing to meet an amicable end to this is I have a sneaky suspicion the bloke is a bit-of-a-nob. In as much as I might wake up one morning to find all 4 tyres slashed on the car etc. At least with his wife happy, he'll drop the whole thing.

Last edited:
xirokx said:
well psu's are known to go bang at any time....
They certainly are... the Hypers are known to go bang on a regular basis, we seem to get one about once a week on this forum.
I expect the shipping caused some wires to get loose or something.

The problem is it isn't the fault of the buyer or seller, its Hypers fault, but unless it was under warranty you won't get a penny out of them.

Back
Top Bottom