Advice Needed

Associate
Hi,

Ive recently been doing a lot of market research into GSP's (Game Server Providers) as im interesting in setting up my own after having experience running one for a week whilst the owner was away on holiday.

Whilst ive got quite a bit on Network providers efficiency, rental options etc, id really any advice some advice on actual server components and what software to use.

So far ive just looked at what a lot of companies are running and it appears to be very mixed:

CPU: Ive seen quite a few single core P4's. However ive mainly seen Duel Core Xeon's. I often i see AMD 64 single cores (usually running at 3Ghz+) and AMD64 X2's are pretty rare unless you order a dedi box (but im not looking at that)

RAM: Nearly everyone uses 1Gb, but no information has popped up about manufacturer or specs.

OS: Im seeing a lot of custom built linux, quite a few of 64bit OS's being run and ive seen gentoo being used too.

So again, my dilema is that im confuzzled as to what CPU i should invest my money into and if that putting 2GB of RAM in is worth the money. Also any advice on what OS to use.

Thanks for reading, any advice appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom