advice on atx or smaller system

Soldato
As Orbi mentions if money isn't an issue the the 8 Pack edition is the best - guaranteed 3200Mhz and sometimes more. But at £160 - the premium price is hard to swallow for the the average build.

The gains are minimal for the outlay when compared to 3000MHz prices - 3000MHz would suffice and does for majority of users.

The below memory, is still in your budget, and will defiantly run at 2933MHz (which is minimum Ryzen performance requirement) and may hit higher (no guarantee) or you may be able to force tighter timings - both a bonus:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Associate
OP
cheers again. I have looked at the scyth fans and there seems to be 2 similar ones. Not sure which would suit me more

there is the mugen rev b or the fuma rev b - both seem AMD4 compatible. the fuma seems to have 2 fans

the fuma looks wider so would that hinder my build.

I also note that the original Cryogic H7 now has an additional heatsink compared to the original H7 and looking at some reviews of the RGB version of the H7 ultra it seems to perform better than the scythe mugen. I understand that the Cryogic is a very easy install compared to the scyth

https://play3r.net/reviews/cooling/cryorig-h7-quad-lumi-rgb-cpu-cooler-review/

Last edited:
Soldato
cheers again. I have looked at the scyth fans and there seems to be 2 similar ones. Not sure which would suit me more

there is the mugen rev b or the fuma rev b - both seem AMD4 compatible. the fuma seems to have 2 fans

the fuma looks wider so would that hinder my build.
The Mugen - should be suffice and is fantastic value - performance and noise on a par with Noctua. The Fuma will accommodate low profile memory (only) - and width/length will make accessibility to components/connections difficult as a result.

Associate
OP
thanks @Plec and @orbitalwalsh for the help with choosing the components. Everything is now ordered apart from ram and air cooler.

ram has now gone up in price as it was £74 to £89. now sure what to get now. I assume this will be ok. Dont want to pay a premium for 3200.

i also assume that i dont need 32GB at this stage. I am only interested in gaming and watching movies

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...hannel-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2d30-my-4bu-cs.html

One question regarding the physical build is should i attach the cpu cooler and ram to the MB before fitting the MB to the case or put the MB in the case and then attach the components at that point.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I went for the HXZT H500 case
the MSI carbon pro MB
the 2700 ryzen CPU
I have an old GTX1080 GPU from my existing build and lots of SSDs
I also went for a corsair MP510 480GB M2 drive
i had a antec gold 750w PSU
dont need a monitor as i use my TV

i dont think i am missing anything else?

just need to get some ram and decide on an air cooler or see if the stock wraith cooler is good enough.

then build the thing

Soldato
i dont think i am missing anything else?
A larger conventional drive as you will eat through that 480Gb very quickly - unless keeping a very restricted/contained system?

and decide on an air cooler or see if the stock wraith cooler is good enough.
Sensible - especially if not clocking.

just need to get some ram
These will hits 2933MHz (like all other 3000 kits) - but there's a chance you may hit higher or force tighter timings at lower frequency:

Total: £98.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Associate
OP

HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3K2/16 DDR4 16 GB Kit (2 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM,

ARE THESE WORTH AN EXTRA £9 - THEY ARE 3200 £89 ON THE RAINFOREST

also they have 3333 speed Hyperx predator at the same price

Last edited:
Soldato
HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3K2/16 DDR4 16 GB Kit (2 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM,

ARE THESE WORTH AN EXTRA £9 - THEY ARE 3200 £89

also they have 3333 speed Hyperx predator at the same price
Get the 3333MHz set if the same price - both run tighter timings at 2933MHz (15 17 17).

Soldato
so its worth an extra £9 for 3333 ram over 3000 speed. Excuse my ignorance but this is all new
Depends - if you got it running at 3200MHz (or close) - i would argue yes, especially when you look at the price of guaranteed 3200MHz sticks at £160. Plus, you would be able to run tighter timings if you had to drop to 2933MHz (3000MHz).

Basically, it's a calculated gamble for £9...

Soldato
I think i followed everything but the fan installation seems confusing to me. My case will be the HZTX H500 which comes with 2 fans. can someone confirm where they should be plugged into the MB
Do you mean just the case fans?

If so they're pre-installed/attached to case - with the wires ready to attach to the motherboard headers that will be marked in your manual. There marked as sys_fan1, sys_fan2 upto 4 on your motherboard.

Do you have your motherboard?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom