Advice on breaking into IT with poor work/education history

Associate
Hi everyone

Without getting too into it, I've suffered from pretty severe mental health problems all my life and it's wrought havoc on my education and work life. I graduated with a computer science degree in 2017, but my academic performance was awful enough that I had no faith in myself actually being able to work a software development job like I'd intended and I ended up drifting through a series of temporary office admin jobs with bouts of unemployment in between.

Recently I've gotten my mental health under control and I've decided to try and break into IT with a longterm view towards becoming a Linux sysadmin. I know the normal first step here would be to get a job doing tech support, but I'm having a hard time actually finding that sort of work and I suspect recruiters have no idea what to make of my CV - between my borderline-failed degree from 7 years ago and lack of professional IT experience since then I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

In the face of all that, are there any tangible steps I should take to make myself a more viable candidate? I looked into certs but it didn't seem clear that they'd make much of a difference applying for an entry-level role with no prior experience.

Back
Top Bottom